Topic

MLD Patrol vs Grace Duo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Patrol vs Grace Duo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Koons
    BPL Member

@skoons

I currently own a MLD Patrol along with a Serenity bug net.  I bought the system due to my interest in a modular set up.  I have only set the Patrol up in the back yard a couple times and for some reason I just don’t like the entry with the beak.    I purchased the system about a year and half ago and since then, I find myself either grabbing my Duplex or Hammock when heading out for a solo trip.  I set the system up yesterday again and made decision to sell the Patrol.  I really like the bug net though and wonder if using it with a Grace Duo, it would be more appealing regarding the entry.  Since this type of system is new to me, I wanted your feedback.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Well, if you like tarps, but don’t like beaks, then you will probably be happy with the Duo.  The size and simplicity are nice but you will obviously have less wind and spray protection without a beak.

As for ease of entry, they both stink for me.  I LOVE the Patrol overall but my knees do not like a front entry tarp – I prefer a side entry design so I can get in & out easier without getting as wet or dirty.

I learned that the Patrol is actually easier entry/exit for me (vs an A-frame) since I can simply pull out one stake at a front corner.

Scott Koons
    BPL Member

@skoons

Thanks Todd!

I appreciate the feedback.  I can understand your point.  I might just give the system a real chance on my next hike in October and then make a decision.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools