Topic

MLD Core Side Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MLD Core Side Pockets

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

See post 2 for content due to BPL forum bug…

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Album Link

Before I bought the core I inquired about paying extra to have side and front pockets added to it.  Ron Bell has a policy that no mods are allowed for the Core “to keep the price competitive”.  I don’t really understand the logic since I wanted to *pay* for the additions but everyone can run their business how they like.

So I gave in and bought a core with the additional shoulder strap water bottle pockets.  When they arrived and I got a close look at them, I was suspicious that they would just flop around and be generally not very useful.  After putting in a few miles with 24oz propel bottles in them I was certain that the MLD strap bottles perform exactly as I expected, so I started sorting out how to add side pockets.

I’m terribly inexperienced with sewing, but what follows are my attempt at a functional side pocket.  I’m pretty happy with the result and will be making a second one for the other side as well as a front mesh pocket for rain gear and misc items, essentially turning this into some sort of micro-Burn w/ no hip belt.

I knew I wanted to only utilize the current attachment points so that the core could be resold when I can either make or have the “ultimate” daypack made.  Here are the attachment points:

First I folded some printer paper to get the general dimensions

Next I turned that into a pattern:

Here’s a close-up of the materials as the pocket starts to take shape:

Finished product:

Terrible but functional stitching:

Holding water:

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

Those are real clean! I like that you matched the line of the daisy chain.  Very aesthetically pleasing.

I never understood Ron’s policy regarding customization of the Core either.  It has definitely kept me from purchasing one.  But then I found a 2014 Newt and all is well.

Pat McDonald
    BPL Member

@jackeen

I’m currently waiting for my Core to arrive in the post. These look great!

Lisa C
    Spectator

@akgirl

Nice clean pocket! What type of fabric did you use? I’m looking at making my first backpack and this is a great idea. I like the somewhat see through fabric. It’s not mesh. Thanks for sharing!

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Thanks Lisa, I used Robic XL and stretch Lycra (mid-weight).

I actually ended up just putting it up for sale, btw:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-mld-core-28l-w-compression-straps-water-bottle-holders-more-newish-gry/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools