Topic

MLD Core Pack review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism MLD Core Pack review

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Core pack quick review for climbing

I love it, but there are a couple irksome misses so obvious that they almost seem like production errors. The problem isn’t that it’s not perfect, but that it easily could have been.

GOOD—
    [] ergonomic shape; way better than the HMG summit pack
    [] fantastic body-hugging design
    [] sublime minimalist construction
    [] shockcord carries crampons or foam pad well
    [] tapered daisy chains keep stuff from sliding out
    [] carries light skis OK diagonally

BAD—
    [] ice axe loops too small to fit around the 5 different axes I tried
    [] snow sticks to mesh shoulder straps. The MLD website shows smooth fabric straps, making this an unwelcome surprise
    [] shoulder straps are unduly bulky for this size pack
    [] tiny haul loop accomodates only 3 of my fingers at once

UGLY—
    [] The included sternum strap was too short to cross my chest— and I wear slim-fit medium / large shirts.
    [] Unlike all dry bags, the HMG packs, and every rolltop pack I’ve ever encountered, the rolltop has two female buckles, so you can’t quickly buckle it closed to itself. It has to be rolled down and individually clipped to each male buckle at the top of the daisy chains. It takes two steps to close the HMG rolltops— roll and buckle. This pack takes five: snap one little snap button, snap one more little snap button, roll, buckle one side, and buckle the other.

The unnecessary fiddling around this entails is less bothersome than the fact that it could all be avoided by putting mated buckles on there, like similar packs have already.

Despite these flaws, it’s certainly lightyears ahead of the alternatives. My hope in sharing these thoughts is that future versions of this pack will get even better.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I like your quick to the point, review. Especially that it is not just a love fest (we don’t learn as much from those). The Goods sound real good. Of the bad the ice axe loops, sternum strap length and 2 times female buckles seem the worst points.

Though not mainly for climbing, but ok for some scrambling on route, I have the same with the Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30. Sternum strap length just enough, but would love a bit more, and the two female buckles.

I can imagine Ron Bell would love to hear your points if you send him a mail.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The sex of the buckles is such an easy fix.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Exactly

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Update! The big chunky shoulder straps seem to resist twisting when you put the pack on wearing lots of layers and big gloves. If their bulk is a dealbreaker for anyone, I have to say that I am starting to like their convenience, vs, say the flat straps of the Cilo gear 20l pack. It’s no longer the flat out drawback I once considered it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools