Topic

MLD Burn vs. GG Murmur Hyperlite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Burn vs. GG Murmur Hyperlite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    BPL Member

@vtme09

What are the pros and cons of the MLD Burn vs. GG Murmur Hyperlite?

How is the Burn able to comfortably handle 25lbs and the Murmur only able to comfortably handle 15lbs?  I got those numbers from their websites.  Is one overrated or underrated?

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

The Dyneema is going to be stronger than 30 & 70 denier material that the murmur is made of.

It would be hard to get 25lbs in a burn I feel

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

I’ve never seen the new Murmur hyperlite in person but as Andy said … the dyneema of the Burn is far more durable than the murmur.

Also the mesh on the MLD packs is much more robust than the GG packs.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

I have no experience with the Murmur, but the weight rating its probably attributable to the difference in shoulder straps. Got my Burn yesterday in the mail actually. It has nearly 2.5″ wide, nearly .75″ thick shoulder straps. I also ordered mine “super-Burn” style with a padded Prophet-style hip belt, for the occasional water haul.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

I have a Burn (also with the Prophet padded belt added) but no experience with the Murmur. I have to assume that the Burn would be dramatically more comfortable based on the straps alone, since the ones on my Burn are nice and cushy. Even though I beefed up the hipbelt, I’ve found that I actually really like going without in a lot of cases.

There’s probably a bit more of a weight difference over the Burn than the specs would suggest, since the Murmur includes hip belt pockets in the weight (so you’d be like 2oz lighter if you dropped the pockets), but the design and featureset of the Burn wins out for me every time, especially since the price difference isn’t massive. (Unless you want to buy hipbelt pockets for the Burn, then it gets up there). If you’re the impatient sort or have an immediate need, you’ll probably get the Murmur faster, since MLD’s wait times are starting to go up as the season starts to hit.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve used a GG Kumo extensively and love the fit of it but I find the materials to be substandard. The quality of the fabric and plastic fittings is not in the same league as my MLD Burn which unfortunately did not fit me as well.

I suspect the my issues with the durability of the materials and fittings on the Kumo would be fat worse with the much lighter Murmur. YMMV.

Chris
    BPL Member

@vtme09

What about the fit didn’t work for you with the Burn?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Water bottle pockets were too high and while my overall volume wat relatively low I was using a TT Notch at the time which is long and I didn’t like how it packed. I’ve since moved to a bivy/tarp setup that packs more flexibly in a smaller volume so that issue might not be present any more. I also wonder if I’d be a better fit in a Large than a Medium despite being only 5’6″ tall because the hipbelt hit me pretty high. One of these days I might try one again but I might also try something from KS or Palante first. I’d definitely order it with slightly shorter pockets if MLD would do that.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Burn’s shoulder straps are absolutely the most comfy I’ve ever felt. I’d also be tempted to ask for it with Prophet shoulder straps (3″ wide vs 2.5″ wide) for the ultimate in cush carrying.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Agree, I think Ron has nailed the shape, width, spacing, materials and construction where shoulder straps are concerned. The Core shoulder straps are indeed extremely comfortable for me.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, I would disagree on the padded shoulder straps. I prefer a very lightly padded strap. In fact I prefer the older 2012 pack straps since they were wider. Padding is 1/8″ and are very comfortable every day while on my morning 6mi hikes around the park (6 days a week with 30 pounds.) But, this is rather regular hiking with the Murmur. I also have the 2015 version (which is not quite as durable.) I have used this regularly on two week solo hikes with well above 20 pounds (23, 25, 22, 26) so it is not limited to 15 pounds, by any means.

The new strap on the Murmur(2015, 2016,) with hip pockets, is nice over the older strap(2012), and, it can be interchanged. The Burn does not include pockets unless you pay extra and is not included in the weight.

The Murmur also includes a sit pad. The Burn does not. (I swap this out for a full fan-fold 5 section torso NightLite pad for sleeping. It also supplies EXCELENT support for overloads up to 30 pounds! I do this regularly, 6 days per week, 6mi per day to get/stay in shape after surgery. I don’t think this is possible with the Burn.)

The front pocket is 500ci on the Murmur. It is only 200ci on the Burn. Yes, it is stretchy and on the prototype it sagged below the pack body, since fixed on later 2012, 2015 and 2016 versions.

The 2012 Murmur also had a problem with “too good” straps. They went to a cheaper poly strap (corser, but weaker) and solved the slippage problems.

The Burn is smaller. The main body is 1500ci and the Murmur is 1700ci. Total size:
    Murmur: 2200ci, but, they do not include the side pockets and the external pad saves about 400ci with the 5 piece NightLite in it. So, it is actually a ~2700ci pack or there’bouts adding this all up. This is without any extension collar.
    Burn: 1950ci without the extension collar.

The extension collar on the Murmur is around 3″ larger, also. But at least and inch or so is required to close the pack.

These are two very different animals. The Murmur is a LOT lighter at around 8.5oz minimum. It only sacrifices about 100ci in hip belt pockets and SitLite pad to get that way. A pretty true SUL pack at around a half pound, especially after customizing it. (I consider anything 8.Xoz SUL)

The Burn will not go there. From 8.5oz you move to 13.5oz, or roughly 50% more weight (after adding in for the sternum strap and whistle.) I consider it a good UL pack, only. (Anything up to 1 pound is a good UL pack weight.)

Durability is another issue, and relates directly to the two pack’s classes. The Murmur is designed to be light. The Burn is designed to be durable. That does not mean the Murmur cannot be overloaded. But, it is more delicate than the Burn. You will not be able to sit on a Murmur nor toss it into an overhead without thought. I believe you can with the Burn. But, again, these are two different animals and it doesn’t really make sense to compare them without also checking how and where you hike. They are too different.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Durability seems to be the main difference. Gossamer Gear’s site even says “This pack should be used only on developed trails to avoid ripping the fabric on brushy trail.” That isn’t really a pack I want to use.

A better comparison would probably be the Burn vs the Kumo.

Brett
    BPL Member

@brettbelingheri

Locale: Wasatch Front

@saudade Brando, (or anyone else who can answer this question) I’m looking at getting the Burn with the padded hip belts to help out on heavy water days as well. On their website, MLD says 16-20 lbs for comfort, and 25 as the max. How much would you say the padded hip belts add to that?

Thanks!

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

I have a Burn with padded hip belt and I would say up to 20 lb it’s comfortable and really feels like it’s part of my body. After that, I find, I start fidgeting regularly and readjusting the weight on my shoulder and it’s no longer unnoticeable and now feels like something I’m carrying on my back, if that makes any sense.  Not painful or distressing just annoying and a bit of a burden.   I’m fine for a few hours with that (like a water haul to campsite for PM/AM use) but not much longer because I’d rather carry a heavier pack that fits/feels better with that weight.

Brett
    BPL Member

@brettbelingheri

Locale: Wasatch Front

That’s good to know! Thanks, Francis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools