Topic

Minor details

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Minor details

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Testing the theory that there’s no such thing as a stupid question, here’s two: first, what is the best means for lashing a river knife to the ubiquitous, square attachment piece on the pfd? Seems like it should be a 1″ webbing belt, but that would be too bulky with the plastic cinch thingy (ladder lock?).

Second, saw a video in which a guy spilled, then tried to swim to the shore holding on to the raft, which didn’t work because he wasn’t able to get a good stroke. Ultimately, he had to release the raft in order to swim to safety and would have lost the raft if not for his partner retrieving it. So, first thought was there should be a line hanging off the raft that a person could grab and be able to swim while towing. Second thought, even better, have a loop on the end to throw over the shoulder and free both hands for a strong, overhand stroke to shore . . . BUT then some alarm goes off in my head and I seem to recall one of the cardinal rules of rafting is never have loose lines in which to get tangled when spilling or under a strainer, and ESPECIALLY never have a line with a loop on the end. That’s what the river knife is for, after all.

Thoughts? Line or no line?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Why wouldn’t you right the raft and get back into it instead of trying to tow it to shore? (I’m not a packrafter, so perhaps there’s an obvious answer to this that my ignorance precludes me from knowing).

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Good point Doug. I think you’re correct that re-entry is the first option. Haven’t had a chance to play around much with my raft yet to know how difficult that is, but if it’s similar to re-entry for a large, multiperson raft, I know it’s harder than it looks.

The video I saw (sorry I haven’t figured out how to add a link, but it was on utube and I believe the two guys were rafting the Gallatin River at flood stage, so I think that was why he wasn’t able to accomplish getting back in the raft quickly enough and decided to bail for the shore before a boulder provided him with a newly shaped forehead.

P.S., love the irony of you pleading ignorance while answering my ignorant question. :-)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Most river knife sheaths have a clip.  I use a folding Spyderco, and built a little sheath/strap out of webbing.

Practice the heck out of getting back into your boat, without and especially with a pack tied to the bow.  I’ve seen that Gallatin swim and in my book the paddler needed to practice more.  That said, there are occasions when you want to get to shore ASAP, and abandoning your boat is the most prudent strategy.  It’s a lot easier to find a boat than a paddle, though I’ve had swims where I’ve discarded both to save my body some abuse.  Some folks add a tail to their boat (usually a six foot piece of webbing, with no knots or loops in it!) so that a partner can grab it or put it in their teeth to rescue said boat.  I’ve never used one, but could see how on creeks or rivers with no slower sections it could be handy.  I’ve always been able to use my boat nose a stray boat to shore without too much drama.

The rescue course at the Packraft Roundup is highly recommended.

Other than that, get two 6.5′ lengths of strap (1″ or 3/4″) with non-quick release buckles for lashing your pack down.  Polypro webbing absorbs less water.

I don’t put any kids of grab line around the front of my boat, but do find a handle between the back tie downs invaluable.  It’s a fine balance having it loose enough to grab fast, but tight enough that the chance of your foot or arm getting in it is remote.

And make sure your valve cap tether is in good shape.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Thanks Dave, great tips.

Re: the Packraft Roundup — didn’t realize how spoiled we were to have it right here in the Flathead two years in a row. I figured it must be an annual, local event so I could afford to skip last year (before I bought the raft and it didn’t seem urgent). Now, I would have to go all the way to Wyoming! Probably a life lesson there somewhere.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools