Topic

Minimalist tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Minimalist tarp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I was gifted a whole bunch of DCF by a nice member here. (Thank you so much! I hope I made good use of your gift.) I finally got around to making a tarp out of some of it. It measures 8.75′ x 5.75′ and weighs 5.2 oz with all the lines attached.

Minimalist tarp

The idea is that my 70-year-old partner who recently had heart surgery (he is doing great and can out-hike me) and I could take this instead of our 2P tent on trips where we can trust the weather forecast. The plan would be to cowboy camp and have this as a back-up in case of surprise weather.

It’s almost the same size as a poncho tarp for one person, so to make it work we would sleep perpendicular to the ridgeline and rely on site-selection to help.

Off-center set-up

We could set it up off-center, too. This could be useful under certain conditions.

My sewing and taping skills aren’t the best but I really enjoy making stuff out of DCF. I’m hoping that this little tarp will be useful for us, or even for just myself. I already have a Pocket Tarp, though.

I made a video, too.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That looks great! I like the pitch with the offset peak. It was cool to see your construction details on the video.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

That little tarp looks great. I am sure it will be perfect for exactly the conditions you stated. It weighs nearly nothing too!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Sweet! Your benefactor is very generous – that’s a lot of DCF!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools