Topic

Minaret Loop temps end of August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Minaret Loop temps end of August

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Riese
    BPL Member

@andystrwake

Locale: Southeast

I have a permit leaving Devils Postpile via the Minaret Lake Trail August 22nd.  We plan on making our way up to Thousand Island Lake.  We will be making a loop back to DP or possibly going to Tuolumne Meadows depending how we feel.

What will the temperatures be late in August?  Will the temps be much colder at night?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

the night time lows during your trip will be 28*

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

with a good pad I’ve always found a 30 degree bag to be sufficient at that time of year in that area. (I’ve hiked there a lot over the years). But women or cold sleepers may want more.

Of course it’s impossible to predict temps. It very much tends to be quite warm that time of year even at elevation during the day, and then it may get cold quickly at elevation right after the sun goes down. I’m a cold person so I bring a down jacket.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

CDEC station locator map. Browse current & past highs/lows for nearby stations. For example, here’s last year’s temps during mid August through mid September at the Gem Pass station (elev. 10,750′): Gem Pass CDEC air temp.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Sweet links Alex. Always love me some good planning tools.

Andy Riese
    BPL Member

@andystrwake

Locale: Southeast

I really appreciate the info and links.  Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools