Topic

Mid weight base layer bottoms

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mid weight base layer bottoms

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I need some help /recommendations  on mid weight wool, mens bottom base layer . Thanks !!

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

On my backpacking trips I take Icebreaker merino wool leggings in 260 wt—rarely thinner 200 wt in the summer.  I carry merino leggings all year round and they are mostly used as pajama bottoms in bed and on occasion as a warmth layer under a pair of shorts for cold weather hiking.

Smartwool also makes merino leggings but I’ve found them to be thinner and not as robust.

Merino leggings will get holes eventually—on the butt and knees—and replacements are expensive.

Several months ago I upgraded to Icebreaker 260 wt leggings with reinforced knees—a nice improvement.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Unless you have the need to hike in your base layer bottoms for more than an hour or so, consider buying Capiline bottoms. They are warmer per ounce, last longer and a bit cheaper.  I’ve come to the conclusion that the only merino I wear anymore is next to skin during active hiking, which basically means I’m wearing a merino shirt and synthetic everything else.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I don’t like the feel of capilene against bare skin—that’s just me.  And you’re right, capilene is lighter than merino oz by oz—but I really like the feel of merino against my skin.  I’m lucky I guess.

Plus, when winter really hits the fan—capilene for me only performs well as a movement layer and not so good as an in-camp layer for warmth—this is where merino tops and bottoms really shine.  But such merino is HEAVY—but I like my beloved Icebreaker zip neck tops for backpacking in the deep cold—

This pic shows Icebreaker merino tops—a 320wt zip neck on top of a 260wt zip neck—plus an Icebreaker merino balaclava which seals everything with the zippers shut—

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools