Topic

Mid Pitch w Inverted V Advice (DPTE)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mid Pitch w Inverted V Advice (DPTE)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

Looking for some advice with an inverted V pitch on a new to me Duomid. It looks like folks are split in a couple of camps –

1. DPTE kits from MLD or Locus Gear (handles down, tip assembly up)

2. Individual pole jacks (not attached), pitched handles up

What are you using? Any strong preference for one way over the other? The cost is about the same for each configuration ($40ish for two pole jacks from ruta locura, or a DPTE setup from MLD or Locus Gear).

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

I use both. Mostly the inverted V although lately I’ve been favoring the simplicity of a single pole just angled closer to the door than centered. I have an MLD Duomid in sil. I have the MLD connector and the Locus Gear they are pretty interchangeable to me, although I wish both were a touch longer for me to offset the poles farther and pitch the shelter higher. What I have been doing lately is carrying the Locus Gear connector in my stake bag. Then depending on how I’m feeling when I setup my camp either doing the inverted V, or pulling out one piece of the connector (the carbon fiber shafts are just a slip fit in the fabric sleeve) and using that as a single pole jack.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have found that when using two individual poles, the poles can slip and move around.

So when I want an inverted V pitch with my MLD DuoMid, I use two long Komperdell poles with the MLD connector.

But often to keep it simple, I also just use one pole at an angle, which has its own pluses and minuses.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

I have a Locus Gear Hapi Grande (one foot longer and a little taller than regular Hapi). Door is on the short rather than long side. I use the DPTE almost exclusively. I picked up some extension inserts for my hiking poles: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelter-accessories/YA112.html. They also make an insert that allows two hiking poles to be mated together into a single pole after removal of the bottom section of the hiking poles.

I’ve been using these extensions with the DPTE from Locus Gear. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think the extensions are long enough to allow me to ditch the two carbon extension tubes, which would be much more stable than have the wiggly extension tubes at the roof.

Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

All good advice, thanks everyone!

What kind of material is the connecting fabric sleeve made out of?  Is it just a slip fit on both sides/extensions?  Also, is there any type of cap on the end of the extensions in the sleeve?

I’m thinking of just making my own (either from normal tubing or 2 – 16″ pole jacks from Ruta Locura), but shooting for something a little longer as mentioned to allow for varying pitch heights.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

You could very easily make your own. It feels like it is a piece of vinyl that slips over the two carbon tubes. The Locus Gear DPTE does not have any caps. The tubes then go over the ends of trekking poles. It’s not the most secure setup, however, I think it would take quite a bit of pressure to have the tube dislodge from the trekking pole when it is under tension. I would prefer a little more overlap between the trekking pole tip and the tube.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools