Topic

Mid-October Beginner 1-2 Nighter in RMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mid-October Beginner 1-2 Nighter in RMNP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jacob W
    BPL Member

@realjwin

Hey guys, first post to BackpackingLight!

I wanted some beta/advice on doing a 1-2 night backpacking trip in RMNP this weekend (Oct 13-15). A friend and I will be heading there Thursday night and leaving Sunday night. I personally would like to backpack the whole time, but it will be her first backpacking trip so I want to take things easy, especially being on fringe season.

I hesitated to post this earlier because I know the weather will be finicky at elevation and can vary day-by-day. It seems like there was a big snow dump around 9k+, but I don’t know how much melt has occurred over the past week or so. I’m excited because I think this will be a great time of year to visit, but I’m nervous about the potential for heavy snowfall. To cut to the chase here is what I’m looking for:

1. 1-2 night backpacking trip, ideally extendable overnighter with the option of a second night if desired.
    2. Approximately 6 miles, 3k elevation max. each day. I want it to be enjoyable for my friend, I’m hoping to turn her into a lifelong backpacker!
    3. Ideally in RMNP weather-permitting. She likes her National Parks, but I would just be as happy without the brand name factor myself.
    4. Also, ideally something that showcases an alpine lake and the fall season. I am trying to impress here after all!
    5. Secondary option at low elevation if we have to bail on primary option due to snow.

I know this is a tall order especially given that RMNP has a huge amount of alpine terrain. We’re outfitted with a 3-season tent (which survived a 5 inch hailstorm on Mt. Shasta) and 0-degree bags so I’m not too concerned about our gear setup (except for wet shoes, which shouldn’t be a problem for only a day or two).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

Sorry to not get this to you sooner, but check out the North Inlet/Tonahutu loop through the park (CDT loop).  I used to take kinds 15-17 on it and it was fantastic for that.  Also you could do some fun loops around the mummy range (Fern Lake TH).  Generally, there are fewer people on that side of the park.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools