Topic

Mid level home sewing machine recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mid level home sewing machine recommendations

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian R
    BPL Member

@bristola

<p class=”p1″>After battling numerous el-cheapos, I believe the Mrs. and I are ready to get a better machine.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>We do a lot of sewing each year for our thru-hikes and feel we can make the investment into something a bit nicer.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>We are just early in the research phase, but want to avoid analysis-paralysis and make a decision without mulling this decision over excessively.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>Anyone have a recommendation in the $500-$1000 range?</p>
    <p class=”p1″>We sew packs, quilts, cuben tarps, hammocks.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>Here are some features that we think we want:</p>
    <p class=”p1″>-auto tie off</p>
    <p class=”p1″>-ability to choose whether the needle ends in the down or up position when taking the foot off the gas</p>
    <p class=”p1″>-ability to sew through a few layers (think shoulder straps where one would sew through foam and a couple layers of material and a piece of webbing) as well as do well with very lightweight nylon/momentum type fabrics</p>
    <p class=”p1″>-accessory availability: we want to be able to get hemming, binding and guide feet (current machine has been striking out on this front)</p>
    <p class=”p1″>-reasonably durable (we travel and take our machine on the road, so it may have to lay on its side in the car-in the case, of course)</p>
    <p class=”p1″>-walking foot</p>
    <p class=”p1″>We could care-less about a zillion stitching patterns, computerized display – though it seems that most machines in this range have this.  If anyone has experience with a Sailrite, Pfaff, Janome, or other quality brands, I am all ears.  The simplicity of the Sailright is pretty appealing even though it misses on a few of the feature requests.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>heck, there is probably other stuff, but this is what is hitting me right now for a feature-list.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>I know there have been some previous posts asking for recommendations, but it seemed they were a bit dated and model numbers had changed.</p>
    <p class=”p1″>Thanks in advance.</p>

Brian R
    BPL Member

@bristola

wooo…not sure how the html got in there…let’s try again::::::

After battling numerous el-cheapos, I believe the Mrs. and I are ready to get a better machine. We do a lot of sewing each year for our thru-hikes and feel we can make the investment into something a bit nicer. We are just early in the research phase, but want to avoid analysis-paralysis and make a decision without mulling this decision over excessively.

Anyone have a recommendation in the $500-$1000 range?

Here are some features that we hope a new machine would have:

-auto tie off
    -ability to choose whether the needle ends in the down or up position when taking the foot off the gas
    -ability to sew through a few layers (think shoulder straps where one would sew through foam as well as a couple layers of material and a piece of webbing
    -accessory availability: we want to be able to get hemming, binding and guide feet (current machine has been striking out on this front)
    -reasonably durable (we travel and take our machine on the road, so it may have to lay on its side in the car-in the case, of course)
    -walking foot

We could care-less about a zillion stitching patterns, computerized display – though it seems that most machines in this range have this.

heck, there is probably other stuff, but this is what is hitting me right now for a feature-list.

Thanks in advance.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I recently bought a new Pfaff Ambition 1.5, a discontinued model I think.  On sale at my local shop (Victoria, BC) in your price range.  I’m liking it so far.  It has optional auto tie off at the beginning and end (without moving forward or back).  It also has their “Integrated Dual Feed” system (walking foot thingy, see video).  At the end of the final tie off, the needle moves to the up position. Push of a button moves needle all the way up or down. Variable speed slider on the machine and very good speed control. Dunno about your other requirements.  There are other Pfaffs in your price range.

YouTube video

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Husqvarna makes a fairly good one in your price range. Has all the features you mentioned. My wife does quilting and has really beat the machine for the past 4 years… Previous to that we had a White, two Singers and an old Montgomery Wards (actually a Japanese machine.) They all still work but all took a lot more effort for her to use. For home use, these were all sufficient. You won’t find a commercial machine in that price range. They often start at around $4,000 without gadgets.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve been using a Janome for years.  Works pretty good.  There are many good brands out there.

I sew shoulder straps on – 3D mesh plus several layers – not the best with a home machine but if you go slow…  Maybe that’s a difference between cheap and expensive machines – expensive ones are faster which would be more important if you’re commercial

hemming, binding, and guide feet?  pifffle….: )

you can have needle stop down or up?  That would be a little cool, although it’s pretty easy to rotate the wheel by hand to any position

yeah, I hate how many machines are larded up with special embroidery stitches, text in different fonts,…

Michael L
    Spectator

@undercling_mike

Could you do with a straight stitch only machine? If so then a Juki 2010q or Brother PQ1500SL might be the ticket. Both are solid machines with a lot of capability and also have higher speed. For gear making I think a quality straight stitch machine is probably better bang for your buck than a machine with all the bells and whistles, maybe keep one of the old machines around for very occasional use with zig-zag.

Brian R
    BPL Member

@bristola

Thanks for all the thoughts.  This has been helpful.  I’ve been taking a look at all your suggestions :)

Michael L
    Spectator

@undercling_mike

Just a couple of other points and useful features to look for. It seems like with a better quality machine there’s less need for a walking foot as the machine just handles the fabric much better to begin with (or can be set up to handle the fabric better), so you may find you don’t need it so much depending on what you are sewing. Other very useful features are a knee lift lever so you can raise and lower the presser foot while keeping both hands on the fabric and mounting screw holes for industrial style sewing aids like hem folders and binders (to use instead of hemming feet etc.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools