Topic

Microspikes vs crampons for Glacier national park in late July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Microspikes vs crampons for Glacier national park in late July

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joe S
    Spectator

@joe-s

I am going to go backpacking in Glacier the last week of July this summer and the people planning the trip said that we need crampons.  The ones that everyone else is getting are microspike style ones, but I feel like I would be fine in just boots or trail runners or I would need proper crampons.  From what I have read microspikes are not that good at biting into ice so there I would be better off with crampons, but if it is just snowy they work well as long as it is not sticky enough that they pack up alot and then you would want crampons with antibotts.  If I don’t need microspikes or crampons it would save a good amount of weight, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  If the itinerary makes any difference we will be starting at Bowman lake going up to Goat Haunt then to Swiftcurrent through granite chalet.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

From what I have read microspikes are not that good at biting into ice so there I would be better off with crampons, but if it is just snowy they work well as long as it is not sticky enough that they pack up alot and then you would want crampons with antibotts.

My experience is the exact opposite.  Microspikes really do their thing on ice.  If it’s soft snow, the spikes are too short to do much of anything–a little better than a naked boot, but not much.  The ice does need to be relatively smooth and without any soft snow on top for the short microspikes to get purchase, and I wouldn’t want to depend on them on steep ice.

Hydro Man
    Spectator

@hydro-man

I agree with Todd.  Micros would be good for some minor ice, or firm snow travel. If you are just in moderate to soft snow you are usually best wearing nothing but boots/runners and kick-stepping or plunge-stepping.  If you wear anything like crampons or micros on soft snow it just collects and it’s more dangerous than having nothing at all.

Joe S
    Spectator

@joe-s

Yeah, the thread I was looking at was on an alpinism/mountaineering forum so they were probably talking about performance on steeper slopes, not flattish trails.  If I get aluminum crampons the weight difference is pretty small, grivel air tech light crampons only weigh 16 ounces and kahtoola micropikes weigh 12 ounces in my size.  In the end I think the deciding factor will probably be if I decide to go with trail runners or boots for this trip, which will likely come down to how much my pack weights.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

If you are likely to encounter steeper slopes / deeper snow, you could also check out the Petzl Leopard FL Crampons. Around 360g (≈12.7oz) so only a little heavier than your microspikes.

Joe S
    Spectator

@joe-s

Yeah, I’ve only looked at grivel so far because I can get a good discount on them, but I’ll need to research other options.  For microspikes styled ones I found an Italian company nortec that makes some pretty light ones, but I don’t know how easy it would be to get them in America or how much extra international shipping would add if I had to order from overseas.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Only one place you might need Microspikes along that route, the Ahern Drift on the north Highline.  This video explains it well.  Certainly possible that it will still be intimidating in late July.

On a big snow year like this you’ll have a bit of snow going up to 50 Mountain, but that is easy going.  Ahern can be avoided by hiking along Flattop and going down to the Loop before hiking back up to Granite Park.  Not a bad alternative, the rangers will have info when you get your permit.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Proper crampons need specific style boots, while microspikes fit on just about anything you would hike in.  Something to think about also.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My Grivel Airtech crampons fit just fine on my Merrell low top shoes. As to ease of use, I find the strap-ons are about as easy to put on as the microspikes. But with the tight rubber on my microspikes, I find the strap-ons are easier to take off.

I guess I have to ask where you expect to find ice?  Is the ice that forms on the path during the night from the snow that was walked on during the day by humans?  If so, microspikes should be fine unless you expect the ice on steep paths.

Joe S
    Spectator

@joe-s

I guess I have to ask where you expect to find ice?  Is the ice that forms on the path during the night from the snow that was walked on during the day by humans?  If so, microspikes should be fine unless you expect the ice on steep paths.

That is my biggest dilemma right now, I have never hiked in areas with heavy snow or ice so I don’t really know what to expect.  I have hiked in the snow before but it has never been bad enough that I would need any sort of crampons.  If the only area where I might need them along that route is the Ahern Drift as David suggest then I think I will be fine in just boots or trail runners.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools