Topic

Microfleece hoodies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Microfleece hoodies?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

All I have been able to find for a men’s XXL microfleece with a hood is the Mountain Hardwear Microchill.  Are there any others out there?

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

I’d check out some of the pieces from MtnLogic.  The Solstice Hoody is PolarTec Power Wool, which may be close, and at 178g, it’s within striking distance to the 135g MicroChill Lite.

I’ve no personal experience with either, however.

Earlier this year I ordered some Power Wool from Polartec Milldirect. The fabric was “gridded” similar to Patagonia’s Capilene Thermalweight.  If that’s not what you’re looking for, then perhaps the MtnLogic Solstice isn’t what you’re looking for.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I ended up with just a quarter zip, not a hoodie, but check with the hunting outfitters as they tend to be better about having the larger sizes.  Mine was from Cabelas

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, looking for microfleece.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Do you classify caplilene thermal weight as  microfleece? Love mine.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

That is microgrid, bit of a different thing.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Marmot Reactor Polartec® Fleece Hoodie – Zip Front (For Men) . $59.99.
    Made from Light, Warm and super soft Polartec classic microfleece XXL in stock

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Here you go!

Mountain Hardwear Microchill Lite Hoodie $25

Just bought one the other day myself. Haven’t recieved mine yet, but I think they weigh about 8-9oz (the Mtn hardwear website value of 4oz is dead wrong). Not sure if it still works, but I used ‘freeship’ to get free shipping.

I wish there was an even more basic option available somewhere. Like a plain 100wt hoodie without zip, pockets etc, but I’ve never been able to find one.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, saw that and ordered one.  And I do agree with that!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Cabelas, LL Bean.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

I was just about to start a threat with the same question. I started looking last week for a hooded version of The North Face TKA 100 but nothing exists. The closest is in wool made by IBEX. https://www.ibex.com/mens-woolies-3-hoody?quantity=1&color=8100 or https://www.ibex.com/mens-indie-hoody?quantity=1 Have to admit though I’m not a fan of wool. I did order the Marmot Reactor Polartec® Fleece Hoodie – Zip Front (For Men) and it came today, but was disappointed by the weight, oversized cut and all the pockets. Don’t waste your money on one. I will be following this thread!

I also found this but its pricey http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/fleece_jacket.shtml

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

The zpacks one is a pretty good weight considering it’s full zip with 2 zippered pockets. Pretty pricey though!

Not very many sizing options, but found this from lands end. Looks like it might be 100wt fleece.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

It really is frustrating to try to find a full-zip lightweight hooded fleece jacket. I tried a $19 one off of Amazon thinking it had to be lightweight at that price. It’s now the heaviest fleece jacket I own. Almost felt-like in feel. I ended up going with a jacket and cap from Lands End.

The jacket is really bright, but I figured a plus to wear during hunting season.

I saw that Mountain Hardwear Microchill after I bought the Land’s End combo, otherwise I would have gotten the Microchill.

J R
    Spectator

@jringeorgia

MH website lists both the MicroChill Lite crew and Lite full-zip hoody as 4.8 oz. Clearly they can’t weigh the same, so I wrote MH to get clarity. Their response is that the hoody weighs 13.4 ounces and the crew weighs 11 ounces. So both listed weights are wrong, by a factor of more than double. =/

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

My MicroChill Lite quarter zip weighs about 9.7oz in XXL

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Is the MH Microchill lite equal to 100 weight fleece?

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

Is the MH Microchill lite equal to 100 weight fleece?

Sort of. Hard to tell, since Mountain Hardwear keeps changing the fabric and the cut every year (to the worse so far). The last couple of years I have been “sampling” the microchill sweaters and the colors have got really ugly (washed out and bland, kind of reminded me the clothes you could buy in Soviet Russia). The last sample also brought changes in style (baggier and longer).

I really wish a gear maker that is not racing to the bottom (Arc’teryx?) would start selling real fleece layers (what they call “fleece” is not, unfortunately).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Microchill light I have is single sided microfleece and not what I consider classic 100wt fleece.  I use a Lands End 100wt fleece with Polartec Classic fleece in the backcountry.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Found a couple of other options. The Patagonia micro D hoody. Specs say it’s 10.7oz. Seems like it might be a discontinued product, but there are some still available in a few online stores.

Also the Craghoppers hybrid pro light hoody (not sure if available in the US, but here is a similar version from a US store). Free return shipping on it so I’ve ordered one and will weigh it etc once it arrives.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Just got my MH Microchill Lite Full Zip Hoody in.  XXL for 10.5oz.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Pretty nice weight! What are your impressions of it?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Pockets aren’t really needed but it would be too much work to remove them for the possible 1 oz savings.  Runs a bit big.  XXL is defiantely long enough and big enough around for my 6’5″ 240# self.  An XL might have worked for a more snug fit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools