Topic

MH ghost lite jacket or simular … any feedback?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MH ghost lite jacket or simular … any feedback?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Hey folks. In the market for a hooded wind jacket. My application will be middle of the road as far as breathability and water resistance is not such a factor. Will be used for a bit of heat retention as well as a good wind block but weight is definitely a factor as is a good deal. If all else fails I can go the MYOG route but that actually may not end up being the best deal considering the cost of some of the lighter fabrics about. Really wish MB made a hooded full zip as that would be my first choice.

Thanks again for your help.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don’t think the HM Ghost Light breathes very well, which would be a deal breaker for me.  The new Patagonia Airshead pullover seems like the winner fabric wise, but it doesn’t come in a full zip or with a hood.

The Arcteryx Squamish might be my top choice now in a full zip windshirt with hood, but it isn’t terribly light or cheap.  A pre 2012 Houdini would fit the bill as well.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

I have had mine for 2 years and it is my go to jacket. I have used it in light rain and snow and it works very well for me. I bought it at the site below and had really good service. It is full zip hooded

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/mountain-hard-wear-ghost-lite/136279417/p

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Montbell actually does make two full zip, hooded wind jackets, but they’re not particularly light, at 4.1 and 6.4. More than two and three times heavier than the Tachyon.

I use my non-hooded Tachyon primarily for bicycling in cooler weather, and for this purpose, it’s great. The mesh arm pits let in the right amount of breeze, since my arms are up on the handle bars. But for backpacking, other than if I just throw it on while stopped, I think I’d want something much more breathable.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

If you order from Montbell’s Japanese website they DO have a 59g/2oz full zip wind breaker. Please order it and be the guinea pig. I have been on the precipice of ordering this several times buit always convince myself I don’t need it. Do a write up and let me know if you get it. What’s the 35 CFM test, if it’s about the same as two coffee filters?

https://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/disp.php?product_id=1103239

Here’s some words from someone who has used it.

MVP of this trip. Used this ridiculously light wind jacket so much. It breaks wind perfectly and is quick to adjust when you get warm. Even the super flimsy hood does a good job of keeping my head warm in the chilly winds of Iceland.

https://andreostergard.com/2015/09/06/iceland-2015-gear-talk-with-jon/

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Matthew, that does look like a nice wind jacket.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

For anyone who is interested in the Ghost Lite, Massdrop has it now. $74 currently, $70 if it drops to lowest price.

Yeah, that link has my referral code. Flaggers gonna flag, but some people might want to know about it.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I used my MH Ghost windbreaker last week in Southern Utah.  I was hiking when a cold front came through.  I found it to be plenty breathable in those conditions.  It did not repel the rain at all though.  This windbreaker is 2 yrs old, and the DWR was better when it was new.  Still, I am really pleased with this wind shirt, (I bought the white color,)

I notice that they are selling the hooded version of the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite Jacket on Massdrop today, found within the link below.

<b>http://tinyurl.com/kpyhfkd</b&gt;

While I was slowly typing, the info was presented above.

Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

I have the Squamish, found it on a decent discount on amazon a couple years ago. It is one of the few pieces of gear I pack on every single trip. It adds a lot of warmth in chilly or breezy conditions, I usually wear it over merino base layers. I find it breaths pretty well, and the full zip lets you vent pretty well in the front. It is less water resistant than it used to be, but still keeps me warm and dryish in light rain. I throw a poncho over it for more serious precip. Plus it is great at blocking mosquitos! My only regret is I wish I had gotten it in a lighter color (I have it in charcoal grey), so it didn’t heat up so much in direct sunlight.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Thanks all for your feedback. Still undecided…funny, seemingly the simplest thing and yet I agonize over this (last) piece of kit :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools