Topic

Merino Wool Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merino Wool Hoodie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

Planning out a trip to Nepal and up to Everest base camp in 2019. Will be end of Sept probably. Working on some clothing options. Planning a short sleeve 150g short sleeve for lower elevation and long sleeve for higher.  Looking for a hoodie for as my second/mid layer.  Go back and forth between 200g and a 230-240.  Anyway looking for some thoughts. Was thinking the Icebreaker Wander but wondering if that 200 is too light.  Some others on the list are the IB Descender, Woolx Switchback and the Minus33 Trailblazer.  Plan to have a fleece of some sort, maybe heavier wool with no hood and then probably my Ghost Whisperer as puffy.  Any thoughts?

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Consider using a fleece as your midlayer such as the Patagonia R1 hoodie or the like.  September is the end of monsoon season but expect a good amount of rain regardless, and at BaseCamp elevation, it’s going to be a cold rain more often than not.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

This is an organized trek so I will not be carrying full pack. pretty much day pack with lunch and layers.  From the lists I have seen, example would be off of Ian Taylor Trekking’s youtube vids, they recommend a baselayer as well as a 260ish layer in addition to the fleece. For days when it is warmer but cool enough for an additional layer. or you just wear the 260 by itself. Part of the reason I was looking for something with a hood in that weight.   I have not decided on a fleece yet I have a terremar Excolator 3 which is fine and has decent enough warmth. But it has a tenancy to stink relatively quick. so I may replace that with something wool down the line. I do the like the wool despite the price. I have time to figure things out and hopefully it will get cold enough to test some things.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Ibex perhaps. They were acquired by a group of investors back in March. I’m not sure when they will start selling agin but, if you have some time, it might be worth keeping an eye out for them. I have an Ibex wool hoodie and although it’s not the lightest mid-layer it has performed very well for me.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

I had always heard the Ibex Indie was the go to for anything merino.  Never hopped on the train and now wish I had.  I will keep an eye out on their site but does not appear to have anything up yet.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

A Merino hoodie is my most used mid layer. I have several.  I have the icebreaker Mt Elliott 200 and I find it a bit to thin so I getting the quantum hoodie 240 before spring here in Australia. I also carry a 100wt fleece for rainy weather or more warmth.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

Andre thanks for the info.  I will take a look at the Quantum, I really like that Icebreaker stuff.  I see it is listed as 260 on the site but should layer well.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I like the Smartwool PhD Light.

The Icebreaker 260 is also nice. Here are the key differences:

• The Icebreaker has a tighter fit. It doesn’t layer as well as a midlayer. For winter use, I like to layer a hoodie over a t-shirt.
    • The Icebreaker is a little heavier, a little warmer, and a little tighter, which translates into being a little less adaptable to warmer temps.
    • The Icebreaker is slower to dry, probably due to its higher wool content.
    • There’s a funky seam along the lower back of my Icebreaker 260, which is a little bit irritating while wearing a hip belt unless I pull the seam above the top of my hip belt. Only an issue when carrying my bigger winter pack, which has a wide belt. The Smartwool seems to have thinner, less obtrusive seams.
    • The Smartwool is a little cheaper.

TL;DR both are excellent products and well made, the Icebreaker is probably better suited as a trim-fitting winter baselayer, the Smartwool is probably more versatile.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

Ryan thanks for the info. Will check out that smartwool.

William N
    Spectator

@will-n-too

Layers. I have Merino wool t’s, two long sleeve pullovers, one lightweight one mid weight and I just bought a zip up, but no hoodie. I like Merino, everything else either stinks or is cotton (and I don’t take cotton). I wanted the zip up because it increases the range it’s good for. Don’t make my mistake. I thought, well I’m a large, so I’ll get this XL. It’s too loose.  It only cost $100, but if I returned it I’d spend double to get a hoodie. My layers are all merino t-shirt, long sleeve, the Zip up, rain jacket (not super thin), and for the snow I might take along another sweater and just maybe the expensive Patagonia Nano Puff I bought. It’s warm but it stinks. I can two merino layers then the Nano, end of the day, the merino layers against my sweating body don’t stink, the Nano reeks until I can wash it. And I’ve also got a regular sweater that has some stretch fabric in it. That’s been just great and is almost ten years old.

Ryan Jordan’s tips fits my experience. I wouldn’t worry about drying though. It’s wool, and will always wick the water away from the warmer side. When I’m wearing my wool that’s to the outside, but if I’m hanging it up to dry after washing it, that will be to the inside, so you have to keep turning it inside out to get it to dry faster–or just put it on. Everything I have that says Icebreaker on it has been top notch. It holds up really well. I had 3 pairs of boxer briefs, two t-shirts and the two long sleeves, I wore these everyday for three months, washed them about once a week. They’re still in new condition.First time I have ever done multiple days of hiking and camping and didn’t stink. Great stuff.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

I am pretty much sold on the wool for the no stink factor for sure.  Also it is pretty warm for the thinness of the layers.  They may have some extra weight compared to the synthetic but I am will to handle that.  This will be my first long excursion and at 21 days I will have some opportunity to rinse things out, but the less I have to worry about washing things every day the better. Certainly appreciate the advice.

Bit of derailment, the boxers, do you have any issues with them being too loose and chaffing??  Typically I have synthetic so they are a bit tighter.  Had not considered taking merino as I have heard the durability can be iffy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools