Topic

Melanzana Hard Face Hoodie :(

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Melanzana Hard Face Hoodie :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

I was planning on buying one of these today but unfortunately Melanzana has shut down their web store till spring. I don’t need it for backpacking, really more just walking around town and maybe some day hiking. I really liked their Micro Grid Hoodie. Its’ one of my favorite pieces of clothing which is why I was set on trying another jacket. I’m going to be spending a bunch of time in the pacific northwest and would like something similar to their hard face hoodie. I particularly like the fit of their hoods. Ya’ll have anything to recommend? I don’t want anything too tight as I like to walk with my newborn son in a baby carrier on the front under my jacket.

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

Wow, that’s crazy. I decided to pick up one of their micro grid hoodies on a whim last night and got my order in. They must have shut the ordering part of the site down early today. Had me worried for a second so I logged in and checked – my order shows as shipped.

Good luck on your search!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a bummer. I’d been thinking about trying one of their vests. Anyone on the boards live in Leadville? Their brick and mortar store is still open.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Lucky bastará, I was all set to buy mine like three days ago but decided I’d wait till I flew back to California. Bad decision. There is a guy,  BC,  that pm’d me about just that.

Anybody out there with some alternatives?

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

Try searching campsaver for polartec hard face. Or search for hoodie and filter just that fabric. I know mammut makes one, but maybe slimmer than you want. The arc’teryx fortrez is fantastic, but again slim fit.

Could also try searching for polartec wind pro. Similar material (not as soft), but hardfaced. I’m sure someone still uses it.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I know, just noticed that yesterday. Lucky i grabbed a dress from them in October.

So if you want this primarily for babywearing, you might want to look at Peekaru and Suse Kinder  The Peekaru  is better than a Kinder for front carries, but you’d get more mileage out of a Kinder when you switch to back carries. Only thing is the hoods – not sure about either and that sounds like something you care about (though they so make up in baby snugness!). My Peekaru was just a vest — put google images suggest a hooded jacket existed at one point.  The Deluxe Kinder Coat has a hood, but doesn’t look like the plain fleece version does. I had the Deluxe and don’t recall if the detachable fleece inner was hooded — though I remember thinking if I were going to do it again I’d just get the fleece (and I’m in the PNW).

http://www.suseskinder.com

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Thanks for the suggestions, those look pretty cool. I ended up buying the “Pathfinder Soft Shell Hooded Jacket” from L.L.Bean and I’m very happy with it. It’s just big enough to carry my baby underneath. It’s warm(but not too warm, just a nice thin layer of fleece)  and reasonably rain resistant and the hood is well designed and adjustable. If it’s not  Polertec hard face, it’s something very similar.

<span style=”text-align: center;”>I went to look it up on L.L.Bean’s website to provide a link but it looks like it’s gone now. It was on sale when I bought it so maybe it’s discontinued. I got it for half the price of the Melanzana(but I still wish I could have got it, I’m wearing my microgrid  hoodie right now) . This looks like it’s almost identical to what I bought “</span>L.L.Bean ProStretch Fleece Jacket, Hooded<span style=”text-align: center;”>”</span>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools