Topic

MEC Northern Lite jacket replacement?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MEC Northern Lite jacket replacement?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Karoly N
    BPL Member

@chx

I left it on a bus after a long transatlantic flight :( :( tragedy. It’s no longer made, it was discontinued well over a decade ago.

It was an ideal all-round jacket using 1.8 oz Primaloft fill (at least that’s what I can find about it — I can’t find whether Primaloft One or what), it was not too warm so I could wear it in 15C (I like warm) and yet with a light outer windbreak it worked well even at 0C. Quite light as well, with the men’s L version weighing 10oz, the XL version weighing 14 oz. It had these features:

1. Two handwarmer pockets.
    2. Zippered inside pocket.
    3. Sleeve cuffs have a stretch binding tape to keep them snug.
    4. Drawcord at waist to keep out drafts.

Absolutely ideal. No hood. That’s just excess weight for this purpose. Any good ideas? I can find quite a few reviews about maximizing warm / weight but that’s not the purpose here. Thanks!

Karoly N
    BPL Member

@chx

Edit: ok perhaps not 15C but not much lower :)

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I hear you. That was an awesome jacket. I still have the heavier, 3 oz one, but my uncle had the one you’re talking about. When it finally had too many holes to look respectable, he turned it inside out. We both made the Kinsman insulated pullover kit from thru-hiker.com, but they no longer sell 1.8 oz Primaloft. In fact, I haven’t seen 1.8 oz Primaloft much lately, which makes me think it’s not very popular anymore. If you are open to making one, the kit itself is pretty great. The arms are baggy, but it allows you to pull your arms inside the jacket, which is handy. The Rainshed sells 1.8 oz Primaloft, but you would have to find a pattern.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Take a look at the newer breathable insulated jackets like the OR  Ascendant and Nano Air. I’ve been using the older OR Superlayer jacket which is much like the Ascendant with different insulation. It is great in the cool wet/humid conditions in the PNW. Like a fleece, it needs a shell when the wind picks up.

The new Micro Puff is a pretty close replacement.

Karoly N
    BPL Member

@chx

I bought an Arc’teryx Atom LT , of course we need more seasons to see how well it will work but so far, under a North Face Dryzzle it kept me real warm and it’s a real nice feeling jacket.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools