Topic

MBC Pandemic Edition

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports MBC Pandemic Edition

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Masks, social distancing, and fun.

YouTube video

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Thanks for posting this. Warms my heart to see everyone doing what they can to get outside and enjoy all seasons. No music, no narration, short. Which makes the video incredibly beautiful in its own way. Lovely.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Love the Kirkham Springbar. Very nice video.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Nice!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Snow? Freshwater streams? Distant memories for a Southern Californian…thanks for the reminder!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

How cold was it?

Too bad I didn’t make it.  Brenda is more comfortable that I didn’t.  In a pandemic.  So I went east of Mount Hood somewhere where it got down to 27 F or so.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Would you mind mentioning where this is? Much appreciated. Don’t worry, I promise not to go there.  ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Too bad I didn’t make it. “

Probably better that you skipped it. The road to the campsite was not plowed (that’s the road Ian is driving on in the video), I’m not sure your truck would have made it.

“How cold was it?”

It got down to around 27 degrees overnight, and stayed in the low to mid 30s during the day.

“Would you mind mentioning where this is?”

Near Rimrock, WA, west of Naches. Lots and lots of camping spots out there, with some fun off-roading trails.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

That looks like a lot of fun!  Ian, would you just invite me next time or do you not allow Tacoma’s…

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

How big is that tarp?  I’ve been thinking about getting something like that for group camping trips.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“How big is that tarp?”

It’s two Kelty 12′ Noah tarps. They’re cat cuts, so they don’t work perfectly in this configuration, but they worked well enough.

“would you just invite me next time or do you not allow Tacoma’s…”

I’m not Ian, but afaic, Tacoma’s are always welcome! Would be a bit of a drive for you, but I’m sure you’d be more than welcome as well. Would enjoy finally meeting the family guy! I’m sure three would be fine, since we do socially distance and wear masks when closer than 6 feet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

No Tacomas.   We have to draw the line somewhere.

You people and your reliable vehicles (shudders)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I did invite my lovely bride to bring her Tacoma but she only camps in above freezing temperatures

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Warms my heart to see everyone doing what they can to get outside and enjoy all seasons.

I love playing in the snow but since we lose 1-3 months every summer to fires and smoke, winter seems to be the new backpacking/hiking/camping season.

Love the Kirkham Springbar. Very nice video.

I love this tent but it’s the Kodiak version.  It’s made overseas and the quality is top notch.  I really like having a comfortable basecamp to return to and this tent is like having my own little cabin to warm up in and relax during those long winter nights.  Thanks!

Nice!

Hope to see you at the next one Jeffs

Snow? Freshwater streams? Distant memories for a Southern Californian…thanks for the reminder!

There’s something about watching a freshwater stream with snow on its banks that’s hard to beat

Brenda is more comfortable that I didn’t.  

We’re too close to the finish line via vaccine to get sloppy now.  We took precautions but I don’t think you can be too cautious, especially when we’re talking about recreational activities.  Better safe than sorry.

I believe Doug answered or responded to everything else.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, I did a backpack trip with Doug, and although we tried to stay 6 feet apart, there’s a good chance we would have infected the other if one of us had covid

still, over-all, I’ve been pretty good the last year not getting infected.  We have to choose opportunities to stay sane.

the healthcare workers at hospitals are the ones we’re abusing.  nationwide that is.  even though vaccines would appear to be coming soon.  I believe the plan is to offer vaccines to them first, maybe in December.  It’s frustrating that many people are still denying this and saying it’s their constitutional right not to wear a mask and social distance

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Chaff maybe?

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

“I did a backpack trip with Doug, and although we tried to stay 6 feet apart, there’s a good chance we would have infected the other if one of us had covid”

Doubt it.  We had a positive case in our family.  The remaining 4 all tested negative.  Infections are simply not as straight forward as one would hope. Same deal with my cousin.  Same deal at work. This virus is weird and strangely particular.

Anyhoo – yes, Chaff.

Doug – if I could get across the border, I would be there!  I could fly in, but what fun would that be?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Doug and I returned to White Pass this weekend.   Unknown to us before we arrived Friday, Washington turned this area into a sno park at some point over the past couple weeks which means our peaceful camp was turned into a three ring circus.   We still had a nice time but we’ll need to find another place to set up a base camp next time.

YouTube video

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Once again no invite.

What were the temps?  Looks mild.  We have had unseasonably warm weather up here.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

We can’t have Canadians down here running around all over the place with their shenanigans.

Temps were mild.   Doug has the temperature readings on his phone but I don’t think it ever got below 20*f or above 35*f.   Not bad at all.

Since I’m lucky to get out once or twice a month, I want to make sure it’s not a suffer fest.   We originally planned on heading there next week but the forecast was calling for ice so we moved the trip up a week

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools