Topic

MBC November 2020, White Pass, WA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips MBC November 2020, White Pass, WA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Who: 10 campers

What: The 2020 Mossy Butt Club camping trip.  This is essentially a car camping trip with options to day hike.  No need to bring ultralight camping gear, just bring what makes you comfortable.  My canvas tent, as an example, weighs about 75lbs.  No gear scale requirements to join although if you’d like to rock your DCF shelter, knock yourself out.

When: Noon Friday, November 13 through noon Sunday, November 15.

Where: Super sweet campsite about 20 miles east and downhill of the White Pass Summit. The campsite is about 5-ish miles off of highway 12 and accessible to all vehicles.

Since anyone and everyone can read this announcement and we don’t want to ruin this campsite by broadcasting its location to the world, we’ll message the exact location to attendees individually.  It’s a beautiful spot with great water access.  Code name Idester was kind enough to volunteer to head up there before the event to hold the spot for us.

Why: We’ve tried camping trips and hiking trips.  Most have agreed that we can all go backpacking whenever we want and we prefer a camping centric trip that allows for more social distancing friendly socializing with the option to day hike.

How: Respond to this posting, message me, or message Doug.  There are two of us already going with room for eight more.  Once we reach a total of 10 we will update in a response below that the trip is full.

Notes

• Have a mask available and wear one when appropriate.  We’re all adults.  We are more than six months into this pandemic and understand what social distancing means at this point.  No one is interested in playing the camp nag, just be cool and respect the wishes of others if they desire more distance.
    • Bring a comfortable camp chair.
    • Expect below-freezing temperatures day and night and perhaps snow.
    • Pack it in pack it out.
    • This is dispersed camping which means no bathroom facilities.  More here https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/recreation/?cid=fseprd739027
    • The campsite is relatively flat with plenty of room for multiple tents.  There’s easy water access if you don’t want to haul water in with you.
    • Typically importing firewood is frowned upon so we won’t provide any.  Link to current fire restrictions or the lack thereof here https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/alerts-notices/?cid=fsbdev3_053600
    • We will not be in the capital W Wilderness area so you’ll be able to drive up to the campsite, hence my 75-pound monstrosity of a tent.
    • There are dozens of campsites nearby.  If we happen to strike out at the primary site, we will message the attendees with the updated location.
    • Historically these haven’t been gear-centric events.  Invariably we’ll discuss gear some but there aren’t any organized show-and-tell gear events.
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Typically importing firewood is frowned upon so we won’t provide any.  Link to current fire restrictions or the lack thereof here”

We will, though, have a propane fire pit to gather around. :-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The last time I went with you two was Surprise Lake in the same area.  There was a serious amount of rain.

https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

Looks pretty rainy Nov 13 to 15 but that’s pretty far out for weather reports

Since it’s car camping, it’s not so bad if it’s raining, that’s a little on the dry side so maybe will be tolerable

I’ll take a chance.  Message you.  That should be fun.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’ve been using NOAA for years but that’s the first time I’ve been on that page.  Thanks!  I like looking at the forecast that way.

Between Doug and I, we will have three reasonably large tarps and four tarp poles.

Looking forward to seeing you there Jerry.  Let’s hope it isn’t as wet as Surprise Lake.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

To add to Jerry’s link, this is the weather station the ski resort at the summit uses.  We’ll be more than a 1000′ lower and on the dry side of the pass.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.39261213226317&lat=46.614079812104364#.X6Ro-2hKiUm

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

or, slightly closer

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.27962112426755&lat=46.62586328296709#.X6RvxohKjIU

for anyone not familiar with this, click on “hourly weather forecast” and it will tell you how many inches of rain each hour, wind speed, cloud cover,…

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I’m totally bummed again.  I am in San Diego though mid December (yes, I know, rough life).  But, wish everyone a fun campout.  I wish I could be there, even if it rains.

-michael

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sorry to hear that Michael.  We’ll get another one going after the holidays.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I usually subscribe to “just because it’s a bad idea doesn’t mean it will be a bad time,” but the weatherman is calling this “one beast of a storm” and we’re looking at a mix of rain, snow, and 50 mph winds.

With the potential for widow makers and snow drifts, we’re pushing the trip back one week.

New dates are noon Saturday the 21st through noon Monday the 23rd.

Weather forecast looks pleasant for those days

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m just now seeing this and, unfortunately, can’t make it this weekend. It would have been nice to see everyone! Have a great weekend, good luck with the rain!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools