Topic

Maximum arc for 12mm Easton poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Maximum arc for 12mm Easton poles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I need a winter base camp tent I can stand up in and also use a LW cot in.

So I was daydreaming about making my own tent as there is nothing on the market of a suitable size. Footprint needs to allow 2700mm in length minimum so I know I’ll need 4 wands at a minimum and preferable 5 or 6 but what I need is 2000mm of vertical at the top internally.

Is it possible using 12mm poles?

The big Stalon tunnel from Hilleberg uses 16mm DAC but that is bigger again, much bigger

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

12 mm = .47244″ or close to 1/2″.  The closest dia. of Easton pole that Quest sells is .490″.  While I think that would flex to the arc you describe, it might be wise to contact Easton, give them the arc length and height, and inquire whether the .490″ dia. alloy pole is suited to bend to that arc for use in a tent.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Yes they are 0.490″ I used 12mm as an approximation. Some NOS in precurved are available locally, I picked up a dozen of them just in case; as the cost was right.

One of the reasons for asking here is that Easton have not replied to my emails asking for help.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

In the past, they have responded to me, eventually. Also, have been able to reach people in sales who were helpful. They only sell larger quantities wholesale, so do not have a strong orientation to end users. One trouble with email is that if people don’t follow your message, they may just ignore it and not respond. This, as opposed to asking a question or two on the phone to clarify, and then responding. It is one of the banes of modern life.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I experimented.

I took 3 of my pre-curved 26 inch sections and put 2 straight 26inch sections on each end and  curved them to ~1800mm wide and ~1800mm tall and the poles curved with no real muscle effort so I’ll try again in a while using 3 sections on each side, a total pole length of approximately 19 feet//5.9 metres.

I probably will not go ahead with the project tho, my winter skiing and camping is starting to create far too much marital friction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools