Topic

Material for UL fishing waders

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Material for UL fishing waders

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Another project I’m planning right now is to make a UL pair of fishing waders for fly fishing. Im expecting I’d make them at least to my waist, but possibly full chest if there’s a good breathable material… it’s unlikely I’ll do just hip waders.

The biggest question of course is, what material to make them from? And maybe the first question to nail down is what will be the minimum waterproofness needed? Second big consideration will be durability since waders can take a beating on rocks, branches and hooks. I wouldn’t likely hike in them, other than roaming a little on the stream once fishing.

it would be nice if they were breathable, but if weight/cost of a nonbreathable option is low enough, I’d def consider that too.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Forgot one other thing… what is going to be the right process to seal seams? Of course this will depend on material chosen, but is basic seam sealing an option or will a seam tape be necessary?

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/21240/

This discussion might be relevant to you.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Yup that’s def the same thing I’m looking to do. Looks like we had a lot of the same questions. Other than suggestions of products to buy though, I don’t see much info about materials and process.

so I’d still love to have a rough minimum head pressure for waterproofness if anyone knows it or how to determine.

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

Seeing how your going to be standing in water with them, I can’t imagine you’d want any level of breathe-ability. Something like a thick cuben fiber would be lightweight and completely waterproof.

I have a pair of those Wiggy’s waiters for stream crossings. They are a lightweight nylon type material. When you step in the water, the fabric suctions itself around your legs, unlike the thick rubber ones, there isn’t a single bubble of air between the material and you.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Yea, I don’t quite understand the science of how waders “breath” underwater, but in my experience, they sure seem to. I’ve been fly fishing for 6-7 years in a pair of mid-level Simms goretex chest high waders and I’ve never felt clammy or more than a tiny bit sweaty in them. As I said in the initial post, if there is a WP, non-breathable material that is substantially lighter and cheaper than the WPB options, I’ll def consider it. But figuring out the actual options (defined by quantitative waterproofness, durability and breath ability numbers) is my main goal and anecdotal info isn’t really what I’m looking for.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools