Topic

Matching map section from online services

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Matching map section from online services

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy W
    BPL Member

@kbf64

Does anyone know of a way to automatically ‘map’ sections of a trail when you zoom in online using a service like alltrails, or gaia?  I’d like to zoom in and print out a map, but at a zoomed in scale AFAIK you have to manually link the sections together by sight / estimation.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@cryptobrian

It’s not automatic but CalTopo does let you layout and setup multiple pages at a time. Still a manual process but about the best option I have come across.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m not sure what the original question is exactly but I print out my pages from Caltopo like Brian shows. I think carefully about overlap and try to ensure there are landmarks visible on each page (peaks ideally).

Additionally, I often rearrange the pages carefully in the PDF before printing double-sided. I try to avoid having adjacent maps printed on the back of the previous page so that I can overlap two maps in the field.

Jeremy W
    BPL Member

@kbf64

So do you need to have a subscription beyond free in caltopo to do the multi-page layout?

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Caltopo…. Free Printing, 8-1/2×11 up to 200 dpi….one page at a time.

https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/print

Brian T
    BPL Member

@cryptobrian

You do not need the Pro version to do multi-page printing. You don’t even need to login, just go to caltopo.com and start mapping.  However, you will be limited to page size (8.5×11) and detail (200 dpi).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools