Topic

Massdrop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cameron P
    BPL Member

@pedal-roll

I’ve just been informed of Massdrop.

Whats everyone’s thoughts about it?

Anyone had any experience ordering?

I like the look of the massdrop x klymit pads.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

They have some pretty good pricing. I have used them a few times when replacing gear.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The Mass Drop quilts are made by Enlightened Equipment. A very good deal.

Many items can be found for similar prices on Amazon and are shipped right away and are returnable. That’s the biggest issue with MD, slow ship and no returns.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

MASSDROP . and BPL member DANNY MILKS is the ultralight buyer for them

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Overall, nice stuff pops up but look carefully at the sizes available. Prices can be close to discounted sites like any clearance page on about any gear website. Massdrop shipping is a bit pokey but if you like the easy deal and have the time to wait, give it a try.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I buy 8-10 things a year from them, but I’m equipping a family so there are numerous quilts, tents, lights, etc to upgrade.  And it’s a long-term project, I’m not ordering something I HAVE to have next month (because when I did, it arrived late).

Their prices are good, sometimes very good, more rarely great.  Always check on Amazon to compare price and you may find it cheaper or only 3% more but ready to ship right away.

They make most of their shipping dates, but sometimes what you get on the shipping date is a cheerful email saying, “56 of you ordered the tent and are saving $4,048!  We are placing the order with the manufacturer.”  And then the next week, an email saying, “We placed the order!” and a few weeks later, “The manufacturer is shipping the tents!”, etc, etc.  While your backpacking trip has come and gone.

So I never order from them if I wouldn’t be happy if it shows up a month later than indicated.  And most things are a several weeks at best.

What I like about them: I see some things that I wouldn’t otherwise know are out there.  They (and the community of customers) do a pretty good job of vetting products and the UL community wants stuff, cheaper, that you can’t get at REI or SierraTradingPost.    It’s not always THE lightest option, but it’s almost always a reasonable choice, and if you aren’t going to do any research on your own, at least they’ve surveyed their members and done some comparisons.  They are always below suggested retail, sometimes well below it and occasionally as cheap or cheaper than anywhere I’ve seen.  Since they’ve done a good job of selecting UL gear (something I know about), I’ll sometimes order stuff from one of the other communities and trust their judgement.  Like this morning, I order a 3-pack of braided, extra-strong charging cables for my iPhone at three for $15 from MassDrop.  Presumably high quality.  And cheaper than the corner store or Walmart.  Not as cheap as on eBay for $1.32 each but those are often crap and it’s really hard to discern which are the good ones (I’d happily pay a few more bucks for one that would last a lot longer).

And it’s kind of amusing to look at what gets the other communities excited: lock pickers, and the “EDC” stripe of preppers and, good grief, there’s enough people who collect little machined metal spinning tops to do group buys together.  (And those top spinning guys are probably all, “You know there are people who try to go backpacking with only 8 pounds of gear, TOTAL!?!?”)

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I am subscribed to Massdrop also. It’s got some good deals, but always double check. Recently they had a Z-Packs tent on there that was more expensive than buying directly from ZPacks. So always check.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I have ordered about four times from Massdrop and have always been pleased with the price and the equipment.

I do have a beef regarding their ordering process.  My preference is to have things delivered to my Post Office Box but delivery to my physical address is fine, too.

Here is what happens.  I fill out the requested information regarding the ship-to address.  The first time I did this I did not realize that they could/would not ship to a PO box until I started filing out the requested information.  OK, that’s fine, I can live with that, so I typed in my physical address.  Guess what?  They ended up shipping to my PO box anyway!!!  What the hay?  I chalked it up to a one time glitch.

The second time I ordered from Massdrop I realized that they were possibly going to ship to my PO box even though they make it abundantly clear that they do NOT ship to PO boxes.  I tried to enter my PO box into the information field both before and after the physical address.  The result was a response that they do not ship to PO boxes and I cannot continue filling out the form.  Entering a PO box anywhere in the field results in a stalled operation.

I have ordered several times and each time the package has gone to my PO box.  Not a problem except that the Post Office has to scramble to look up where to actually deliver the package.

End of mini rant.

Medic16
    Spectator

@medic16

I have purchased a few items from them. I recently purchased the goosefeet pillow cover for my klymit pillow X. I did save about 10 bucks by using Massdrop. I also like their exclusive versions of the Klymit sleeping pads. I always compare prices thou. I have been happy with every purchase from them.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Was Elvis ^H^H^H^H^H^H Danny Milks here?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools