Topic

Massdrop x Zerogram Toulumne Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Massdrop x Zerogram Toulumne Bag

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hudson Gardner
    Spectator

@rivrwind

Been looking for a new bag to replace my 2 pounder old kelty for a while. Thoughts? Seems unbelievable to be so small and have that temp rating.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zerogram-tuolumne-sul-sleeping-bag#specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xlQPqZrtQ

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

If you look at the Enlightened Equipment Conundrum bag, it weighs 16.62 ounces in regular length, x-wide width, which are similar specs to that bag. HOWEVER, that spec is at the 50 degree rating (8 ounces of 850 power down). I suspect this bag’s temp rating is vastly overstated. If it sounds too good to be true…

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

The Conundrum actually weighs 15.42 ounces with the same specs if you choose all 7D fabric options…but it costs $340. Still only rated to 50 degrees.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I know nothing of the bag or the brand, but looking at the specs, here’s what I will say

The Pertex GL shell is top of the line – more fragile than higher denier fabric, but a top of the line UL fabric.

850fp White Goose down is premium fill

8.1 oz of fill weight isn’t a lot, but it does appear to be EN Rated to 20*F for men and 30*F for women. I’m very skeptical though

For comparison

Thermarest Vesper 20 Quilt – 12oz 900fp down

Nunatak 20* Quilt – 14.5oz 850fp down

Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20* 13.8oz 950fp down

Katabatic Gear Alsek 22*  12.4oz 950fp down

In my own experience my 20* quilt (Javan Depsey) has 12oz of 850fp down.  I also have an original Golite Ultra 20 quilt that has 9.5oz of 800fp down and the consensus was it was more of a 30* bag, though I have used mine to the mid 20’s.  There is no way I would trust a quilt with only 8oz of down at temps below freezing.

My suggestion is to look elsewhere.  The Thermarest Vesper should be able to be found at some pretty good discounts.  Enlightened Equipment is known for budget pieces as are a few other companies that I’m not real familiar with like Hammock Gear that seem to be value leaders.

Nunatak and Katabatic are premium top of the line options.

Are you looking for a quilt or a bag?

What temp rating?

Budget?

Hudson Gardner
    Spectator

@rivrwind

@izeloz

@mocs123

Thanks for your knowledge, which is a lot deeper than mine. I thought it seemed too good to be true! Brad, I will look into those options. I’ve always heard EE and Feathered Friends are good options. I’ve had my eye on a Hammock Gear for a while too.

Seems like the discussion section on that bag exploded after I posted it here. I think it is really dangerous and misleading if the EN ratings are not accurate. Glad to shed light on it.

Ross T
    Spectator

@treiber-7

49″ hip measurement seems small in my experience with sleeping bags (not sure how that translates to a quilt but I suspect a body measurement is a body measurement and 49 seems tight). That might be part of how they get the EN tested 20 degrees with only 8.1 oz fill weight?

Another good comparison is the Feathered Friends Tanager 20

• Also uses Pertex quantum 7d
    • Rated to 20 degrees
    • Same styling, similar dimensions
    • …but it has 13.3 oz fill weight of 950

If the EN tested limits cant be fudged, you might also find the bag weighs more than advertised when it shows up?

But then, I have no clue. Just my thoughts while reading through this and no one seemed to call out the hips being tight. -RT

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

EN Ratings shouldn’t be able to be fudged.  They’re done by a third party lab to a standardized set of parameters.  However something just feels off with this.

Feathered Friends makes good stuff.  For standard sleeping bags I like Western Mountaineering the best.  For quilts, Katabatic and Nunatak are my favorites, but the cheaper options offer 90-95% of performance at 75% of the cost.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools