Topic

Marketing opening with Enlightened Equipment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Marketing opening with Enlightened Equipment

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Next post…

Position filled, so I have locked the thread at Tim’s request.
    Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    BPL

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

We just posted a new job for Director of Marketing and Communications at my EE.

If youā€™re experience leading customer service and marketing teams, can adapt to a fast paced and rapidly changing environment and could stand working around me for any length of time you should check it out.

https://enlightenedequipment1.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=22

Pay range is $65,000-$85,000

Must relocate to Winona MN

Thanks!

-Tim Marshall

founder; Enlightened Equipment

(Mods; I wasnā€™t sure where to post this but I know this job is relevant to this community)
    ——————–
    Hi Tim
    Well, I think it is a first, anyhow.
    And I have no idea where it could be moved to either.
    Good Luck
    Roger Caffin

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Wow Tim, just the fact that a cottage gear maker has grown to where it can offer that kind of salary is pretty impressive.Ā  Good luck finding the right person.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Thanks man,

We sure have come a long way, lots more to learn, lots more to do; but we’re doing it!

-Tim

E. L.
    BPL Member

@trailmercury

I love my EE quilts!

Curious why the job doesn’t require any formal education.Ā Ā  Minimum Bachelor’s degree?

Regards

E.L.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

E.L.

we are not worried about what school somebody slept through, or what degree they convinced someone to give them. The right candidate will have the skills and experience, maybe they will have formal education, maybe they wonā€™t. For us education is not a top priority, where skill, experience and attitude are.

-Tim

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Managers that require a college degree for fields where government regulations don’t require it are living in the past. My wife ran across a few of these while interviewing. Everything going well until they ask about her degree, then “we’ll keep in touch” (yeah right). I wouldn’t want to work for someone like that anyway. They are usually the ones offering 60k in SF (which is probably like 40k in MN) with a strict dress code and 8 am start time. They don’t understand changing culture, or inflation apparently.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Aaron:

“Managers that require a college degree for fields where government regulations donā€™t require it are living in the past. My wife ran across a few of these while interviewing. Everything going well until they ask about her degree, then ā€œweā€™ll keep in touchā€ (yeah right).”

So your wife got through the preliminary screening but felt the question about her degree or lack thereof in the face to face interview was a show stopper???

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

No, I meant occasionally the interviewer would stop the process after learning she had no degree.
    Though I personally wouldn’t want to work for someone like that, who thinks a degree is meaningful compared to several years of experience – it shows that the employer is behind the times by several decades (not to mention not very bright). It also shows that they didn’t care enough to check her resume before wasting her time with one or more interviews.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Of course for entry level work in certain fields, a degree should have some merit. But in a non-technical position after several years of work experience? By that point I’d consider the degree no more meaningful than any other bit of old trivia.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

“It also shows that they didnā€™t care enough to check her resume before wasting her time with one or more interviews.”

Exactly.

Even when I volunteered for my company to do on campus interviews of about-to-graduate MBAs, I never asked about degrees or courses. I said tell me about this job you had last summer.

E. L.
    BPL Member

@trailmercury

hope you find the right person.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Tim,Ā In most non-technical jobs, someone can pick things up with a proper OJT. A degree is worth a heck of a lot more in a technical field than in a marketing division. I believe a degree is about the same as 2-4 years of work experience, no more than that in a non-technical field.Ā  A different story with a science or engineering degree, but, that is not who you are looking for. I, too, wish you luck!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

My 2 cents…

A formal degree is very valuable, and arguably required in the hard sciences…engineering, medical, computer science, etc. Ā Not so much in the soft sciences…marketing, advertising, customer service, etc is often more about attitude, aptitude and most importantly interest. Ā My experience filling many positions and in those fields points toward personality, flexibility, and ā€œfitting in with the corporate cultureā€ arguably being more important than training or experience. Ā One can train a great candidate. Ā One can seldom change the personality or drive of someone who is a ā€œbad fitā€, regardless of education or experience.

E. L.
    BPL Member

@trailmercury

How about a field like journalism?Ā  Not scientific or technical.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

E.L.Ā  Ā  That is a huge problem.Ā  Journalism does not require scientific or technical knowledge.Ā  It explains the epidemic of inaccurate and just downright wrong science articles in the media.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Re journalism: you can preach ethics, and encourage ethical reporting…but you cant enforce it. Freedom of the press cuts both ways.

As I (attempted to) explain to an acquaintance from Europe, in ā€˜Merica everyone has the right to be profoundly ignorant…as well as Ā completely oblivious to that fact. Turns out freedom itself cuts both ways too.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Where the hell is Winona???

jk. Good luck man.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@ JCH ” A formal degree is very valuable, and arguably required in the hard sciencesā€¦engineering, medical, computer science, etc. Ā Not so much in the soft sciencesā€¦marketing, advertising, customer service, etc is often more about attitude, aptitude and most importantly interest.”

Yes I agree 100% for freshly minted graduates and folks a few years out of school. But the half life of an EE or CompSci degree is very short.

The tech industry is pivoting to AI and machine learning not just for self driving automobiles but also for how data is routed for a network and to predict the next football game you will view on your smart phone.

Even many marketing folks these days need to learn data science techniques.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

the half life of an EE or CompSci degree is very short.

I will argue that is only true for people who do not want to continue working in those fields. Ā I finished grad school in 1995 and have been a software engineer since. Ā I have learned as much each year of my employment as I did each year in school. I HAVE to in order to stay relevant. If your knowledge stagnates you will soon be replaced.

And you are 100% correct about the need to have data science skills. Ā Soon, if not already, most jobs will require a significant amount of computer savvy…the amount increases each year.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@ JCH. I think we are agreeing and, I did not state myself clearly enough. Namely, by short half live I mean that even grads of the top tech schools in CompSci or EE cannot rely on what they learned in school but need to stay current in their fields by on the job experience/training… continuous learning.Ā  At least here in silicon valley, the larger mature companies lose engineers to smaller companies and startups especially when the engineers are put on cost reduction programs because they do not learn anything new, the projects are boring, and the pastures seem/are greener elsewhere..

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Bruce. I agree to agree with you :)

Returning to the subject of the thread…were I a young(ish) marketing/communications type, I would consider the EE opportunity to be pretty special. Ā I imagine it would be a great place to work, with good people, producing a great product.

Full disclosure: I own 2 EE quilts, recommend them whenever I get the chance, and would gladly purchase them again…although that fact has absolutely nothing to do with my statement above.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

This was a fun thread ;)

i have an excepted offer and am pretty excited about the future of this department.

I want to edit my original post to reflect that but Iā€™m not smart enough; Roger, HELP!!!

thanks for looking guys

-Tim

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Marketing opening with Enlightened Equipment’ is closed to new replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools