Topic

Maps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

What are the differences between Gaia GPS and CalTopo?  I am looking for a GPS backup. On my last excursion my Garmin was getting numerous satellite locks but refused to triangulate until I updated the software once home. Fortunately I use map and compass and typically confirm my location at the end of the day with the GPS.

I would also like to print my own maps from the perspective of being a canoeist who paddles in the Alaskan Arctic. I prefer maps at a scale of 1:50,000 with UTM coordinates and topo lines printed on 8.5×11 waterproof paper. Being able to layer all man made objects (homesteads, bridges, winter roads, etc.), vegetation changes, historical/archeological points of interest and water hazards is a plus.

I’m an Apple user if that makes any difference.

Joshua Felts
    BPL Member

@sourpatch2016

Gaia is the best for ios applications. Although Cal-topo is better for desktop and print outs, it’s GPS app is only in its beta stages.

Stan B
    BPL Member

@stanbiker

I use Cal-topo to design the map and add any waypoints, then have it printed at the UPS store double sided on 11×17 waterproof paper that I provide. Works great for me, and I can choose the area and resolution myself.

Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

I like CalTopo along with All Trails to figure out my route and print out maps. I use Gaia on my phone. Together with a compass, I feel good with planning. Weather and water resources requires checking other sources.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools