Topic

Mapping an area with iPhone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Mapping an area with iPhone

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Gever
    BPL Member

@dgever

Locale: Brooklyn

I have been exploring a Wilderness Management Area in new jersey. A good portion of the WMA is accessed through mowed paths that are cut through very thick vegetation. There are no marked trails or trail maps for this area. I would like to create a map of the labyrinth of mowed paths and deer trails for the area.

Are there any apps available for the iPhone that can help with this? It would be nice if I could edit the eventual map on the computer as well.

Brad Clarke
    BPL Member

@ekralcb

Locale: Eastern Ontario

Can’t really help as I’m an Android guy, but a quick Google for “iPhone track logger” came up with myTracks.

It looks like it would produce similar results to what folks do with handheld GPS units.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Haven’t used it but take a look at the Gaia GPS app for iphone.
    It will track your walks onto a map.
    Not sure if you can edit or not.

Or maybe the PDF Maps app:
    https://www.pdf-maps.com/get-pdf-maps/

Billy

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gaia has pretty good track editing built in. Sometimes I export/import into Caltopo.com when I’m editing (on computer).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools