Topic

Manzanar Pilgrimage and Local Camping? 4/27/19

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Manzanar Pilgrimage and Local Camping? 4/27/19

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m joining forces with a few teachers at my high school to trying to take ~12 students to the 50th Manzanar Internment Camp gathering on April 27th.  We’re looking to camp in the area for the weekend, Friday thru Sunday morning.  Any suggestions for local spots (Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine area) that could accommodate about 15 people and 3-4 cars?  This is getting put together slightly last minute…I backpack out of the area all the time but have never car/group camped there.  Was thinking Gray’s Meadow but I’m not sure if it’s still closed for winter.  Diaz Lake?

Thanks for suggestions….

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I haven’t car camped there… only farther north by Bishop, but I did find this sheet:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd486882.pdf

Greys Meadow is closed until May as with everything on the Sierra side of Inyo National Forest.  Cedar Flats and Grandview in the White mountains open in April.  At the bottom is a list of campgrounds at lower elevation (out of the NF).  Most of them are open year round.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Portagee Joe would be the closest I think and further up the Whitney road is Tuttle Creek that has a group camp.

I think Boulder Creek RV park has tent camping facilities. It’s on 395 just south of Lone Pine.

Have a fun trip.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks so much.  I’m not familiar with a few of those so this is a great start.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

We settled on Independence Creek Campground.  Everything else was either booked or first-come, first served, which doesn’t fly on permission slips/liability waivers.

Thanks folks.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

BTW Grandview Campground has the most incredibly awesome views but you have to haul in your own water.
    Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools