Topic

Managing active layers/sweat to undedicate sleep layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Managing active layers/sweat to undedicate sleep layer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I like having dry/clean sleep layers including a hoody in cool/cold weather when sleeping in my hood less bag, but it does cost some weight.  Any advice on adding & removing an active hike layer (Peloton 97 or Cap Thermal weight) I wear over Cap LW?  I’m interested in how others do this.  How often do you have to stop, take the pack off, remove a layer?  Or do you reduce your watts & open the zipper wide – is that often enough?  If I stop taking my Montbell LW Merino crew sleep shirt, I don’t want a sweaty hoody to sleep in.  I’ll keep the Peloton bottoms for sleep.  Just seeing what others do if they don’t carry dedicated sleep hoody.  Thanks.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I don’t often stop to shed a layer, anymore: I start cold and usually find out that I’m excessively warm within a short span of time.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Same. If I wear layers once I start walking I’m overheating and have to stop within minutes.

I usually don’t bring dedicated sleep clothes.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Bonzo & Matthew, thanks!  So Matthew, assuming you sweat plenty in your hiking shirt, & don’t bring dedicated sleep clothes, what’s your solution?  Just let it dry on you while at the campsite then sleep in it, and next day/night repeat?  Thanks again.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Not to point out the obvious, here, but: sleeping without clothing can be an option.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I use the Kuiu 97 hoody and pants as both sleep layers and mid-layers.  Other than mid summer, they are a permanent addition in my pack.

I purchased the hoody first wanting something very light (5-ish oz) in fleece (and with a hood!).  Within a couple of trips I was sold on it.  I decided to give the pants a go, but was thinking the zip off feature was a little gimmicky and just added weight.  I can tell you it’s not at all gimmicky and on those cold mornings leaving them on until it warms with the ability to shed them in a few seconds is pretty darn nice.

The fabric provides more warmth than the weight would belie, it’s comfortable against the skin, breathes well, dries quickly and it’s uber light- good stuff :)

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Mike.  Some of your posts encouraged me to look at them.  I’m a fan as well.  Agree about the zippers.  When you use them as both mid layers & sleep clothes are you careful to manage the sweat or is it mostly a non-issue?  I appreciate the Kuiu recommendation. Love the weight too.  Steve

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have to have a dry layer to sleep in. yes, it’s a bit more weight but worth the good night of sleep. I usually have a base layer where I live (it’s cold here at night, usually). For warmer regions, shorts and a T. Sleeping naked is seriously inconvenient in mosquito country.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

my base layers are really thin (OR Echo) and they are usually bone dry by the time I hit the sack; if not, they dry quickly after getting in the bag/quilt- body heat makes short work of them wether it’s sweat or wet from rain/snow

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

So Matthew, assuming you sweat plenty in your hiking shirt, & don’t bring dedicated sleep clothes, what’s your solution?

I don’t have one solution that I always do. I usually sleep in normal (not long) underwear and a shirt or fleece. I have slept in my hiking clothing on many occasions because I’m tired and didn’t care.

If you do want separate sleep clothing, I’m pretty sure you’d have a hard time finding anything lighter than Terramar Thermasilk. I do have their long underwear bottoms and mine weigh 2.9 ounces in a medium. My large Macpac Alpha Direct hoody is 5.3 ounces and I think you could get a lighter one from a number of other makers.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Mike – I wear OR Echo too.  I’m a little confused.  So sure the sweat wicks away & the Echo dries great – but do you sleep in the Echo or the Kuiu?  If you’re sleeping in the Kuiu, how dry is it?  Thanks!

Matthew – is your (usual sleep shirt dedicated for sleep or no?  And thanks for the recs on light sleep layers!

Karen – thanks!  For sure, it’s easy to look forward to fresh sleep clothes.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

if it’s warm- just the base layer, if it’s cool to cold, the Kuiu goes over the top- typically it’s cool to cold, so usually it’s the combination of the two

I’ll usually push my sleep system a wee bit and the Kuiu layers help in that regard.  During the day if needed, they become my active layer.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Thanks Mike.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Sleeping naked is seriously inconvenient in mosquito country.

I can see that it would be if you’re in the open, or under a tarp with no netting…but assuming that you have a net/mesh layer between you and the parasitic outside world: what’s the issue?  I’ve peeled all of the layers more than once on a hot night and not had any significant increase in mosquito issues.  To be honest, it’s rather nice to sack out on top of the bag on a hot night.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Mike – just wish the Velcro on my pack roll top closure didn’t eat the Kuiu so hungrily.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools