Topic

Malware ad is back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

After the new server was installed the malware ad that made using this forum impossible on Chrome disappeared. Yay! Except that it’s back. I wonder, is someone intent on maliciously hacking this site, or is this just a feature of BPL now? In any case it makes using the forum impossible–unless I use Firefox (so far!)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m happy to block ads that screw things up for all of us, but I need info about it to block it — right click on the ad (no, this doesn’t generate a revenue click!), and copy the URL, then send it to me at [email protected].

Anonymous
    Inactive

“After the new server was installed the malware ad that made using this forum impossible on Chrome disappeared. Yay! Except that it’s back.”

I use Chrome as a browser, and haven’t experienced any usability problems thus far.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I’m back here on Chrome and now am mal-ad free, so who knows? Earlier today I had the same issues as before. Hope that  I didn’t jump the gun! I had to move to firefox to post my initial post. Again, everything’s fine now. Nevermind.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have not experienced any of the malware, video ads, etc. that have been reported by several people. This includes my iPhine, iPad, and Mac all running their device specific version of Safari. Also I do not have any kind of ad blocker program running.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I use Chrome and have never experienced this.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Since the transition to the new server I haven’t seen that disruptive video ad which is great news!

But prior to the transition it was a constant annoyance as reported by many over
    the past several months. It’s possible that the ad was being served to only a certain segment of the browsing population based on geography, other browsing history etc. Much of online advertising attempts to “target” specific segments so it’s not surprising not everyone was seeing that ad.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Yeah it used to be on my computer at work as well as my home computer, which suggests it wasn’t just my computer at home which was infected. and of course many people had the same issue. Post transition it’s still fine now; sorry if I messed up. Like Jack Lemmon in the China Syndrome, I’ll just say that there WAS a vibration–er, mal-ad. I’d adjust the header if I could; Ryan or anyone is welcome to do so as far as I’m concerned.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools