Topic

Making an FKT-like quilt for my hammock, questions and advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making an FKT-like quilt for my hammock, questions and advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matanya “Wonka” Loewenthal
    BPL Member

@matanya

Locale: Midwest

Hi, long time lurker, first-time poster here!

I’m going to try to make an Apex quilt in about a week or so. I want to model it after the MLD FKT quilt with the variable temp ratings. I ordered 1 yd of 5.0oz Apex, and 2 yds of 3.6oz, as well as some 0.9 membrane 15 poly taffeta as the inner and outer, all this from RBTR. Here are some features I’m looking to include:

• Poncho-style head slot with KAM buttons or velcro
    • Minimal pad attachment system, preferably with removable hardware to prevent tearing my 1.0oz MYOG Monolite hammock. Maybe one like the Katabatic system?
    • Differential cut, not really sure how.
    • Somehow, maybe a draft collar? Not really sure how, but it would be nice.

I’m 6′ and 185 lbs, and I’m not sure what size I should make this quilt, because the FKT is already pretty narrow, but hammock quilts are usually pretty narrow, so I guess I’m looking for advice on that. Really, if people have any ideas, advice, tutorials for different parts of this, or other quilts with features I might want, please, let me know! this would be my largest project, but I’m reasonably good at using my machine, a Kenmore 1941 I “borrowed” from my grandmother. Thanks!

R
    Spectator

@autox

Differential cut:

For a given girth, say 45″, model that as a circumference and than calculate the corresponding radius.  So, 45/2pi = 7.16.  Now add you loft to that and calculate your outer girth. 5oz Apex has a loft (I think) of 1.2″, so: (7.16+1.2)*2pi = 52.53″.

Say you want a 5″ gap between the edges of the quilt underneath you. Add that to the girth of your inner layer and repeat the above. Then calculate the ratio between outer and inner layer girths (aka circumferences). It should be > 1. Multiply the gap size by this and subtract the result from the calculated outer girth.

When you sew the inner and outer layers together at the head and foot seams, you’ll have to fold/pleat/gather the outer layer a bit to get it’s length to match the inner layer’s length.

A simple approach to a draft collar is just add 3″ to your total length beyond the draw string at the neck.  Works reasonably well for the effort to make it.

For the poncho slot, you need vertical walls inside the slot (like baffles in a down quilt) so you don’t compress the insulation, and you want a flap to seal the outer layer from drafts when you’re sleeping.  Velcro will seal better than snaps, but it has a scratchy side you don’t want against your skin.  Omni tape addresses this but I can’t speak from experience.  Take a close look at how others have done this.

Good luck! Share pics and spec’s when it’s done!

Matanya “Wonka” Loewenthal
    BPL Member

@matanya

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the advice, especially actual math I can calculate instead of just rule of thumbs. Cheers!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Omni Tape is definitely more comfy (& is tolerable) than Velcro.  Snaps will work if you add extra material to roll up on both sides of the slit.  Seems complicated though.

I wouldn’t bother with differentials on a synthetic quilt this thin.  Just my 2cents though.  Just add a little extra to both layers of material and call it a day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools