Topic

Making a UL Umbrella Extendable

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a UL Umbrella Extendable

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John B
    Spectator

@talkingjohn

Making a UL Umbrella Extendable

Umbrella

Since I hike with two hiking poles and want to be able to use an umbrella, I have been looking for an umbrella that would work well hands free.

I thought that an extendable umbrella would work, but I didn’t find an extendable umbrella for sale I liked, so I decided to try making my own (or modifying one).

I started with a Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Carbon Ultralight Umbrella (6.8 oz) worked on it and came up with an extendable umbrella that is about 8.3 oz.

Some instructions and links to pictures below for anyone interested.

What I used:

Umbrella – Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Carbon Ultralight Umbrella
    Triangular File – or something that will cut carbon fiber
    Small Hose Clamp – No 2 (7/32 – 5/8)
    Superglue
    Carbon Fiber Tube – that fits in the umbrella shaft cut to the desired length
    Optional – Baking Soda and a very small triangular file

What is needed

Cut the umbrella across the shaft a little above the handle.

Cutting

To cut the shaft, gently saw back and forth with the tip of the triangular file’s edge at a right angle to umbrella shaft. Once a small cut is made with the file, turn the umbrella slightly and saw again until the umbrella shaft is circled. Continue until the shaft is cut.

2 Glue the carbon tube inside the handle with Superglue

Glue

Once the carbon shaft is inside the handle where desired, baking soda can be sprinkled on the superglue to set the superglue. This hardens the superglue quickly.

Baking Soda

Cut an inch and a half groove parallel to the shaft in the umbrella shaft on the runner side. This will let the umbrella shaft close around the carbon tube when the hose clamp is tightened.

Cut a small hole at the top of groove to help keep the carbon fiber from cracking beyond it. Put a small dab of superglue above the groove and hardened it with baking soda to help prevent cracking beyond the hole.

Starting the Groove

Groove with Small Hole

Put it all together.

All Together

I have found that a dime works well to tighten and loosen the hose clamp. At the length I have made my umbrella, when fully extended, it can reach up to 50 inches. At that length, I think it may be used as a support for a tarp (more testing is needed for that).

Thanks,

John

William N
    Spectator

@will-n-too

A few years ago I bought a SWING TREK UMBRELLA for about $70. Wasn’t worth it. While it was better than a $10 umbrella, it wasn’t significantly better. I recommend avoiding spending a lot on any umbrella.  (I don’t think any of them are going to do well in strong winds. )

Caveat: My travel when I carried it was in Japan, I was off grid no more than three days in a row – so I could’ve bought a cheap umbrella anytime I wanted to. If you’re through hiking one of the long trails this won’t be an option.

The two connectors to the straps on my backpack strap: worked well enough except when I was actually hiking, then they were always on the wrong strap (based on where the sun is). I also left it at a hostel and because it cost $70 I felt obligated to go back and get it.  It was more of an anchor than an umbrella.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I have the Swing Handsfree Treking umbrella, which has an extendable handle. I use it all the time, but never hiking. It’s almost twice as heavy as the OP’s version. I’m not sure I’d be willing to go through all the trouble to make my own, but I like the idea of a lighter one.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I hadn’t known about the Six Moon Designs model.  Pros: 6.8 ounces (my GoLite Chrome Dome is 8.13 ounces) and that it gets more compact (I’ve struggle with the Chrome Dome’s 25.5 inch length for airline transport).  What’s the SMD’s unmodified shaft length?

I find that with a nylon fishing shirt with buttoned epaulettes (my usual hiking shirt), I can put the handle of the GL CD into a chest pocket and secure the shaft under one epaulette or the other for good hands-free shade coverage for most sun angles.  It can fine-tuned by putting it on the left or right side (of the left or right chest pocket) by secured the button on the pocket (they’re pretty big pockets).  Like this, but the pockets on mine are higher:

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

This is really interesting John. Thanks for the post.
    And David, I love that fishing shirt tip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools