Topic

Machete wielding man attacks hikers on AT, killing one

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Machete wielding man attacks hikers on AT, killing one

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

This happened Friday evening. Even bear spray might have helped ward off the psycho.

YouTube video

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Monte, thanks for posting this. There are insane people in this world, sadly.

For those that don’t know, the AT is a social trail, a family on foot so to speak. More than a few Triple Crown hikers have gone back to re-hike the AT because of the sense of community.

In the north Georgia hiker community where I live, there is a huge focus on the AT and the hikers this time of year, as there is all along the southern AT. This tragic event has been like a lightning bolt through the heart of the AT hiker community and all the towns along the trail, especially the Tri-State region of NC/TN/VA.

Please take a moment of compassion for everyone involved and affected by this tragedy. Life is precious.

Bill in Roswell GA

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Note to self: as soon as someone starts acting threatening in the least, it is time to move on rapidly. I am sad for the local hiking community.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

A lot of people think stealth campers are paramilitary nut-jobs with our olive green tarps and earth tone clothes, making camp where we can’t be seen from the trails. I figure if no one knows I’m around, there is absolutely zero chance they’ll bother me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools