Topic

LW Sleeping Pads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LW Sleeping Pads?

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    DS
    Spectator

@dsterling

Locale: Northern Rockies

P,

From everything Ive looked at and read up on, I keep coming back to Exped UL. Unfortunately they are sold out of the MW 25.6X72… WIll keep looking and thanks for the input!

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

The alternating baffle design of the Q-Core (and of the Nemo Tensor) is the way to go IMO. It just needs to get more popular so there are more options out there.

I hadn’t looked at the Q SLX that much, but I like the fact that it weighs 16 oz for a 20×72 (versus 13.5 oz for the nemo in the same size). Hopefully that means the BA pad is made with a little thicker fabric, because IMO the Nemo is way too fragile.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

The only thing that struck me about the big Agnes mat is that it seemed pretty slippery and plastic-feeling.

I had had the insulated nemo and while it was comfortable initially that feeling didn’t last through the night.

DS
    Spectator

@dsterling

Nick,

I did look at the Nemo and my impression like yours, was that is was way to delicate. As for the Q-SLX I have read mixed reviews and being a new product there appears to be some durability issues already emerging. SO the search continues for the right pad… Thanks for your input!

DS
    Spectator

@dsterling

Richie, thanks for the input!

Paul French
    BPL Member

@ssghawk

Locale: Northern Texas

LET’S SEE IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST TO RESTART THIS THREAD. SEE NEXT PAGE

Paul French
    BPL Member

@ssghawk

Locale: Northern Texas

SO I GOT REAL CLOSE TO DROPPING $350-400+ ON A UGQ BANDIT 10 OR ZERO DEGREE QUILT AND DECIDED TO RETHINK MY REAL NEEDS SINCE THESE KNEES PROBABLY WOULD ONLY BE GOOD FOR MAYBE 3 OR 4 MILES EACH WAY DURING A WEEKEND.

I FOUND MY BIG AGNES 850 FP MYSTIC 15 SL & INSIDE WAS THE(UNUSED) WEDGE I BOUGHT YEARS AGO FOR IT SINCE  I LIKE TO KEEP MY PUFFY STUFF, ETC. IN THE BAG IF IT GETS COLD; BESIDES BEING A THRASHING AROUND SIDE SLEEPER. DECIDED TO BUY AN UPGRADE ON THE INSULATED AIR MATTRESS AND GOT A BA LONG Q-CORE SLX FOR $35. LOVE THE EXTRA THICKNESS AND MUCH LESS WEIGHT COMPARED TO THE 10+ YR. OLD BA MAROON HEAVY WEIGHT PAD. I BLEW THE SLX UP AS HARD AS I WAS ABLE AND A WEEK LATER IT FEELS LIKE THERE HAS BEEN NO LEAKAGE. I WILL TRY TO SLEEP ON IT FOR THE NEXT WEEK JUST BECAUSE.

I CAN SEE THAT THIS THICKER AIR PAD WILL DO A BETTER JOB OF SEALING UP THE BA AIR PAD TO UN-INSULATED BAG BOTTOM DRAFTS BUT WONDER ABOUT DURABILITY OF THE LITE WEIGHT PAD FABRIC. IF THE GROUND IS NOT FRESHLY CARPETED, I ALWAYS USED A CLOSED CELL PAD TO PROTECT THE AIR PAD AFTER A NEARLY DISASTROUSLY COLD SCOUT TRIP 55 YEARS AGO.

AFTER I BOUGHT THE SLX (OF COURSE) I FOUND A BUNCH OF REVIEWS THAT QUESTIONS BA’S 15F DEGREE RATING ON THE SLX AND LEAKAGE PROBLEMS..

HAS ANYONE ELSE FOUND THE BA SLX TO BE MORE LIKE A 35F AIR PAD?    ANYONE HAVE ANY CREATIVE WORKAROUNDS THAT WILL MAKE THIS WORK AT ABOUT 10F?

=

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

n/a (didn’t realize this was an old thread)

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools