Topic

Luxurylite Stackpack (Neotrekk)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Luxurylite Stackpack (Neotrekk)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

A recent thread about attaching a pack to a regular belt mentioned a product called the “StackPack”. I looked it up on the following link:

http://www.neotrekk.com/index.html

Is seems to be an interesting concept that has been around for a while but apparently there is not much buzz from this community.

I’m intrigued by the uniqueness and wondered if anyone has any experience the would share.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Same. It seems like an interesting solution but there very little information out there. I tried to find a YouTube video so that I could see it in use and from multiple angles but I don’t think any exist.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I bought a used Luxury Light with soft stackable ‘barrel bags’ or containers. I love the frame but couldn’t get along with the containers, which stack on top of each other as in the picture in the link. I found the stacks moved around too much and slightly bounced when I walked. But I have an uneven gait. Oh, and they slid to one side, as one of my legs is an inch shorter than the other. So I slapped on a GG frameless pack to the LL frame and all’s been great ever since.

That flange on the bottom of a Luxury light–without the flat surface that’s pictured–holds a sideways situated bear canister perfectly, when it’s at the bottom of your pack. It practically snaps into the space the between the two horizontal supporting bars.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Debbie K,  a member here (and brownie aficionado, as well as all around great person…) has used a LuxuryLite for a number of years now. She loves it.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I tried an early version of it around 15 years ago.  I have an unusual spinal curve which makes me more sensitive than most to the shape of a pack. The LuxuryLite was the best external frame / strait frame pack I had tried, but it wasn’t for me. I think for people who have previously used external frame packs, and liked them, it would be well work trying.  I started to write a review but I guess I never finished it:

–mark

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Like Mark, I bought an early version of the LuxuryLite/NeoTrekk Stack Pack in 2002-2003. Don’t know what’s changed since then.

Pros: Lightest external frame pack I could find at the time. Almost too many adjustment points. Potential to mix and match barrel bags and other items. Best pack I’ve ever tried for carrying a Bearikade Expedition canister. Seemed well engineered.

Cons: Too hard to get stuff in and out of the barrel bag openings and no external pockets. Uncapped frame bottoms scratched hardwood floors.

But I couldn’t get the pack to fit me comfortably, despite weeks of fiddling and many trial hikes with full loads. I returned the pack for a refund.

Ultimately I reduced my base pack weight even more, so I didn’t need the weight capacity of an external frame pack. After buying and trying several other packs, now I love my HMG Windrider 2400.

Pack fit is critical and everyone is different.

— Rex

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I tried it as well couple of years back – though with lots of weight – around 38 lbs or so. Maybe now if I try it with 25 or 30 lbs – maybe it will be different. The main problem I had was since all of the weight is on the belt and the connection point of the frame to the belt is a small area, it felt like the belt was digging into my back a lot with all of that weight. I think I was overloading the pack with 38 lbs or so – this was with 5 liters of water and a bear canister. With 25 or 30 lbs, it should feel much better I would think.

He is very good at taking the pack back if you don’t like it. I would say try it for your loads to see how it feels. Most folks who buy this pack are those who do not want any weight on the shoulders as they have shoulder issues and it seems to work very well for them.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

I bought my LuxuryLite in 2006 when I started to “lighten up”. It replaced a 5-1/2 pound REI framepack. Primary use has been for weekends and occasional week long trips with loads of 20-40 pounds. I have a cordura bottom bag for some extra durability and two sail-cloth upper bags. I am not an organized packer so like the three compartment arrangement for easy access. The velcro openings on the bags takes a while to get used to but works ok. Making a custom single bag would be an option. The frame, straps and belt have held up well. The bags have accumulated multiple patches of tape or sealer from off trail hikes.

What makes this odd looking setup work is carrying weight in the front pouch. I often have two (sometimes three) 20 oz bottle of water in that pouch including a filter, camera, gps, maps and snacks. Very easy access. The pouch just hangs with straps hooked over the top of frame tubes. The bottom tab goes down behind the waist belt to stabilize it. Seems odd but it is easy on-off. The shoulder straps are used primariy to lift the pack on-off. Once the front pouch is in place virtually ALL of your load is transferred directly to the hip pads. The pack is balanced. I normally carry no weight in my shoulders but I sometimes snug them up if on very uneven terrain. That helps keeping the loose pack from lurching around.

Additionally, I’ve never felt that the front pouch obstructs my vision. If not full, the bags sort of squash downward so it looks bottom heavy but that doesn’t effect the carry or balance. It is an odd looking set-up. You will get odds looks or questions from other hikers. Also, the vendor, Bruce Warren, has always responded quickly to any questions I’ve had about this pack or accessories and offers a very lenient return policy.

In ending, this is a niche pack and wouldn’t be suitable for a lot of folks but I like a balanced frame pack so it has worked well for me.         -KenM  Louisville, Oh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools