Topic

Lunch sammies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I’ve been back and forth on lunch options. It typically ends up being some sort of sandwich-type thing that I assemble on the trail which is a bunch of stuff to individually pack – some sort of bread (pita, tortilla, flatbread), some type of lunch meat, maybe a cheese (spreadable ones if possible), and I have been slicing English cucumber lately to give the sandwich a fresh crunch.

Until an epiphany I had while eating some of my aunt’s pepperoni rolls. This led to a pre-made sandwich thing. Using Rhodes frozen rolls these things can be made ahead of a trip and kept pretty well. I used the Texas-size rolls, let them proof from frozen and then rolled them out like pizza crust. Filled half with some lunch meat and a slice of chunked cheese as well as some banana peppers and then folded the dough over and pinched the edges like a calzone. Cooked in a 350 degree over until brown (about 12 minutes) and then let cool. Packed in between wax or parchment paper and then placed in a Ziploc and into my food bag. Pretty much the same components that I used to pack individually and assemble, but in an already made to eat package. 2 of these was good for me for lunch. No muss, no fuss.

I am thinking you could do the same with tuna or chicken – kind of a pre-made melt. Might even be able to heat these up over a fire at camp if you wanted. Even got the approval of one of my mates (Bob M.).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That sounds great.

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

You have invented the Cornish pasty.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a good point and the fattier dough of a pasty would increase the caloric density and deliciousness-factor.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I wonder if a pork pie wouldn’t be more dense in calories? I have no idea how to get one near me, but I bet if the weather were cool, you could get a lot of calories in a bear can with them.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Thanks all.  Bob K – I knew it couldn’t be unique ;)  I had something like that in Michigan this summer now that I think about it – Pasties.  Just surprised I hadn’t run across it in any forums before. Thought I would share.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Off-topic but we have grown to love our doublewide rectangular pie iron for car camping. Lately we have been taking that and a kettle for tea/coffee as our entire kitchen setup for my wife, teen and myself. Pizza dough plus meat and veggies and you are in improvised calzone heaven.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

That sounds so much better with pizza dough than white bread.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools