Topic

Luke's Micro10 Waterproof

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Luke's Micro10 Waterproof

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Has anyone tested this waterproof material yet? The specs say it has a 10K hydrostatic head and 27kg/m2 of breathability all wrapped up in a 4oz jacket. I can find no other reference on the web.

http://lukesultralite.com/lul-micro10-rain-shell

I’m looking for a jacket for brief western US rainstorms, but I don’t want something that will wet out in an instant. Someone be the guinea pig.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Saw that last night. Agree it looks great, love to see verification.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

Hmm, maybe best to go with a brand jacket without mystery fabric? Probably pay less on sale too.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I’m pretty sure the fabric is from RipStopByTheRoll and was just announced publicly today or yesterday.

The other day, RipStopByRoll was running a contest on Facebook, giving away rain mitts from Luke’s using the same material, so I’m assuming Luke’s is also using it in a new jacket.

I just ordered 2 yards to make my own WPB rain mitts for my wife and I, and to check out the material.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-4-oz-10d-waterproof-breathable

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

Correct Jeff that is ours (I am the owner of RBTR). We’ve been working on it for quite some time now trying and tweaking different face fabrics, laminates, and DWR formulations. I also have a Zpacks Challenger jacket made from it. I tested while hiking down in South America earlier this year and outside of that, it’s been my main rain jacket for the past 6 months.

I was planning to make a thread to talk testing, specs, gather feedback, etc. In the meantime, you can check out the lab test data we have on the first production lot HERE.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Kyle, it would be great to hear your real world experience with the jacket.  You probably have the longest-term experience with it.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Kyle,

The MVTR numbers look good.  It would be interesting to see an air permeability test done on the fabric.  ProLiteGear had some youtube videos using a bubbler that demonstrated the significant difference in air permeability of GoreTex Pro, GoreTex Active, eVent, and Neoshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TmzwZgEVmA

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

While slightly off topic because it’s not specifically about Luke’s Micro10 Waterproof jacket or the RBTR source fabric, I found an excellent article on blistergearreview.com discussing vapor permeability vs air permeability and the state of the market in 2014.  I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite as comprehensive here on BPL before:

http://blistergearreview.com/recommended/outerwear-201-marketing-wars-new-technologies-paradigm-shifts

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

We can get the air perm test done. I actually have several yards of this same face fabric laminated with an eVent PTFE membrane, so I can go ahead and say it the eVent has higher air perm just based on trying to breath through each.

It’s important to remember that there are a lot of tradeoffs going on here. That’s one reason we took so long in testing/dev. This first WPB we’ve come out with is designed to be a very low weight, good performing, and relatively affordable option. We tested and continue to test a lot of other variants that turn each of those knobs to a “different setting” so to speak.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

So, is the eVent fabric coming in at a similar weight?  Is it going to be out soon too?  Or does it need more testing before coming out?

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

If I didn’t already have one of Luke’s jackets in eVent, I’d be ordering one with the new Micro10D!  I guess I’ll have to wait for this one to wear out.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

… the significant difference in air permeability of GoreTex Pro, GoreTex Active, eVent, and Neoshell.

GTX Pro SHELL as it’s different from Pro.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Anyone try this jacket yet? Lightest weight jacket I’ve seen and under $200.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

ZPacks stated they were testing their new UL rain gear while in Patagonia the other day. Is this the fabric?

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

Kyle, is yours still holding up well? I just ordered the rain set myself the other day.

Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

I have one from Luke, love it! Very breathable!

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Built some down sweaters with it. Performs as expected. Beautiful color and finish to boot.

I found the tear strength to be low to moderate. It’s 10D, so I guess that makes sense.

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Locale: Los Angeles area

Can anyone comment on how quickly it wets out?  How does it compare to the OR Helium II regarding protection from a sustained rain?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“I found the tear strength to be low to moderate. It’s 10D, so I guess that makes sense.”

An outer layer gets stressed.  Brushing against branches or rocks which can tear it.  Maybe 10D is too light weight?

Of course, it depends on the user.  Developed trails have less stress.  Even developed trails can have brush across them.  Maybe the light weight is worth it, even if you have to replace it occasionally.  WPB tends to have a limited lifetime regardless – the membrane delaminates.

It would be interesting to hear people’s results after wearing for a couple years.

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

think these would hold up for a whole AT thru hike? I’d hate to have spent over $300 on a rain suit, only to find out it wont last the trip I bought it for…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have REI’s Kimtah eVent rain parka and pants.

Great for air permeability but sometimes is a bit on the cool side in very cold temps with high winds due to this very permeability..

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

Well, after spending over $300 of a friggin rain suit, I just found out I now also have to wait 2 months to get the friggin thing. Disappointment all over.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Bummer about the wait but remember Luke is a cottage manufacturer, and on his home page is where you will find lead time information. This is a good thing that Luke is so busy, people are voting with their dollahz and that means more great stuff from Luke! I myself am waiting on a down pull over from him, its just part of the fun.

Ben

Andrew C
    Spectator

@andrewlcraft

Luke’s stuff is worth the wait.  I have a pack lid due in tomorrow from him!

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

Yeah I figured there’d be a couple weeks wait, didn’t realize it would be a couple months. It’s my first time ordering from him. That’s some info that would be handy to have up on his page. I hope they work well, I’d be bummed if that DWR coating wears off quickly after that price and wait time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools