Topic

LS21 / VX07 sturdy enough for 45 lbs max load backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear LS21 / VX07 sturdy enough for 45 lbs max load backpack?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jan K
    BPL Member

@jank

tl;dr: I am looking at a 55l aluminium frame backpack that supposedly can handle max loads of 20 kg/45 lbs and I am doubting that the materials of the different versions (1. LS21 + VX21 bottom and sidepockets + UHMWPW suspension system or 2. VX07 with the same bottom, sidepockets, suspension system) are sturdy enough for such loads. Am I right or wrong? Thank you :)

Hey,

silent reader here. This is technically not a MYOG question, but I was hoping that people here would have the most expertise.

Some backround:

I’m not a thru-hiker, I mostly do overnight trips or 7-9 day hikes such as last year in the Val Grande, Italy, where we had to carry food for 9 days as there are no stores in that area resulting in loads of 20 kg/ 45 lbs per person in the beginning of the trip. So having the option of carrying that load is important to me. Also money is kind of an issue as I’m still studying.

I was thinking about replacing my 2,3 kg/5,5 lbs 75l backpack with something lighter and I found an (at first glance) interesting offer on a certain big chinese website.

It comes in 3 versions “UHMWPE”, “LS21” and “VX07/VX21″all with aluminium frames, weighs about 1,1 kg/2,4 lbs and is supposed to carry loads up to 18-20 kg/40-45 lbs at a 55l capacity in the main body (180 euros).

From what I can see on the pictures both the LS21 and VX07 version have bodies made from the fabrics they are named for and x-pac bottoms and sidepockets (probably VX21), also suspension systems probably from some kind of UHMWPE.

I tried to do some research on the different fabrics (except for the UHMWPE version, as there are no further specs listed) and from what I learned, I doubt that the LS21 or VX07 are sturdy enough to support loads of 20 kg in the long run.

Am I right in that regard or would trips as the Val Grande hike be possible more than once?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I don’t think I’d be concerned with the ls21 pack. I do not have experience with vx07 but I do with lso7. Different materials but I would be a little bit hesitant, although depending on which manufacturer is making these packs (is it seekoutside?), the construction methods is also a very important aspect.

Some of these companies I trust have made good choices on materials and construction but others maybe not.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I am far from an expert on fabric but I have have a small frameless pack made from VX07. I would not want to rely on it for a pack carrying a load of 45# particularly if you would be doing any bushwhacking.

You might find Dave’s blogposts on fabrics useful. I believe this is the most recent and it links to his two older posts on the topic in the first paragraph.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

I get my VX07 and VX25 (hot lime!) today in the mail. I don’t have experience with any of those fabrics yet, but we’ll soon find out on the X-Pac! I would think that the fabric itself wouldn’t be most of the issue. Rather, the seams/reinforcement and mainly the suspension system will determine how comfortable it’ll be.

Here’s a decent review on a 3F UL pack, assuming it’s a little smaller than the one your specifically looking at, but it’s a good review none the less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJG6T–KOA. Some of the product details on websites like Aliexpress are a little less forthcoming.

Also… shameless plug, I have the Gregory Parragon 58 (older version) and it rides like a dream. I’ve seen it on sale now for about $175 USD (excluding any duties/import fees), since a new version is out (which might save you a few ounces). It’s a beast of a pack, and stripped down you can get it to a little over 3 lb for the M/L size? I’ve used it extensively for the last few years, and it carries heavy loads PHENOMENALLY. I carried 50+ lbs (20 lb water, 10 lb food), and while my knees didn’t love me, the pack rode great. Not quite ultralight, but I think 45 lb will be uncomfortable in any ultralight pack for too long a period, regardless of fabric.

Jan K
    BPL Member

@jank

Ah, thank you for the feedback, the blogpost was also a very interesting read. I read the two older ones, but not this one.

Overall I think, this supports what I learned from reading a lot about these fabrics:

They are great for what they weigh, but maybe not  necessarily what you are looking for, when you need to carry high loads.

To be honest I really like my old backpack (except for the weight). It carries 45 lbs very comfortably, has a front opening and I modified it a bit so that it even has a front mesh pocket. Maybe I just wait until I have some money at hand and then decide again, if I want to invest in some weight savings. (There are also very interesting, but expensive backpacks like the Granite Gear Blaze 60 or the Seek Outside range).

Until then the Gregory really sounds interesting and maybe I will also look into the Osprey Exos 58 again…will check those out.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

“…I doubt that the LS21 or VX07 are sturdy enough to support loads of 20 kg in the long run.”

I think either fabric is strong enough structurally, provided the construction and sewing is on point.  Hard to evaluate that from a distance.

If you’re regularly loading the pack to 20kg I’d want something a bit burlier just to manage abrasion.  Harder in my experience to be nice to a pack with 20kg, easy to baby a bag with half that weight.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

How much weight is going to be in the pack is less important, in my opinion, than where you are going to use it. My ski pack is 210d oxford, typical start of trip load is around 40 lbs – though often skis and boots are added to that for all or part of the first day before the snow is reached, making the load closer to 50. No problems at all with the strength or durability. But that is a low abrasion environment. Alpine or desert, different story. Mostly forests would be somewhere in between those extremes. Good sewing and detailing can make even a very light fabric into a pack that is strong enough for heavy loads. A heftier fabric is just for durability, so your choice; how long do you want it to last?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I think the LS07 and LS21 are quite strong enough for a pack of significant capacity. This (grey one) is mine (MYOG), using mainly LS07, with silnylon throat and LS21 base.

Hard 7 day trip in the mountains.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools