Topic

Loyalsock Trail Thruhike 59.2 miles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Loyalsock Trail Thruhike 59.2 miles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

https://youtu.be/sUIsgbwJPyg

Finally!! After about 8 years of wanting to hike this trail, i did it. My son and i hiked the entire loyalsock trail, 59.2 miles in 4 days/3 nights. We left Long Island at 4 am Wednesday, October 14 and arrived in Pennsylvania at the east end parking lot, Dutchman Falls area at 8 am. Our arranged shuttle showed up right in time, Thank-you Allie!! She had us starting our adventure on the west side trailhead at approximately 9:15 am. Up.. UP.. UP.. Up.. i will say this trail had many many ups ups ups, lol. I posted a short video on YouTube.. hopefully that link up above works.

Day 1. Approximately 14 miles

Day 2. Approximately 20 miles

Day 3. Approximately 17 miles

Day 4. Approximately 8 miles

This trail was pretty rugged and tough. We woke early and hiked until just about sunset every day. We slept snuggled in our hammocks as there is no shortage of trees to hang from. My Ti-Tri 600 Sidewinder performed perfectly. No fires permitted at the time we went, so first night used the inferno mod and boiled water for meals.  The next 2 nights we were so tired.. esbit did the job qick n easy. We both carried Gossamer Gear G4-20 packs.. loving them. His GG LT5 trekking pole tip snapped and broke the first 3 miles of trail!! We were able to extend the pole long enough to still be useful, so thankfully it was not an issue.. but something to be mindful of..Many of the waterfalls we passed were running low or dry.. but we still appreciated what we got to see. There were also plenty of beautiful vistas.. and the October colors were still bountiful and popping!! The weather held up perfectly.. only raining down on us over the 2nd night from 11 pm to about 7 am.. pitter patter on our DCF tarps while we slept the night away.

Rocks and Roots galore.. no shortage of either one along this trail. I am used to them as i mostly hike in NY and PA.. but yes.. they are everywhere. There was also plenty of woods roads walks, which were nice and made up some miles and time.

If you are looking to do a great adventure, a nice thruhike and only have a few days on schedule, I would highly recommend the Loyalsock trail in Pennsylvania. We did it in 4 days/ 3 nights.. which I would say was just right.. if you dont mind some hi mileage days and if daylight is limited.. But doing this trail in 5 days or even 6 days would also be highly recommended..

My favorite part was near mile 57.. the Haystacks. We both whitewater kayak.. currently class  2 and 3 rapids.. and the haystacks are a class 4 section of whitewater rapids. Again the water level was low when we came through, in the springtime.. they are flowing class 4 but it was still beautiful to see the water chutes, slides, falls, holes and gorgeous rock formations. We stopped and spent some time in this area, also being so close to finishing up, the end.. Dutchman Falls. I would tell anyone to most definitely hike this trail West to East and save the best sections for the ending!

Check out my short video link above..and feel free to hit me up anytime with questions.. Joe

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for posting – Your video gave a great view of the trail.  I’ve only done a part of it (the Loyalsock-Link Loop) around Worlds End State Park.  Your daily mileage was impressive and it looks like your son handled it well.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yeah.. dont be fooled by my video.

I did not film the agonizing up up up.. when i was sweating and cursing .. lol!! But really.. its a great trail. Thanks for checking it out.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I appreciate you cutting out the up, up, up…I’ve seen enough of it in PA to know that any time I see water I KNOW that in the next 1/4 mile I’ll be heading uphill again.  As I become “less young” it’s not the uphills that I dread any more…My knees have started really complaining on the downhills!

When you hit Sones Pond did you take advantage of the picnic tables and the toilets?  It was a nice break for us at lunchtime on our second day of the trip.

Thanks again – I have to do the entire trail sometime.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Did not see any tables or toilets at Sones pond, lol.. a few campsites along the trail.. along the waters edge.. that was it.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

sones pond

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I had to wrestle my personal laptop from one of my 14 year-old twin girls (“Minecraft is so much better on your PC than on my iPad”), but I finally found my photos.  I did the Loyalsock-Link trail with a group of other BPL’ers in October 2015.

You had a much prettier morning than we did, but you showed this same campsite in your video as you arrived at Sones Pond:

Arriving at Sones Pond

14 minutes later we came upon the picnic area (after a short road walk if I remember correctly:

We enjoyed our lunch alongside the pond and I’m pretty sure all of us took advantage of the facilities in the prior photo.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahhh.. nice. yeah we definitely did not see that bathroom or beach area, lol.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools