Topic

Lowest temperature you have used your alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Lowest temperature you have used your alcohol stove

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Lots of polar vortex temperatures occuring across the US. Tell us about your alcohol stove use during these temperatures.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

My last trips 2 weeks ago it got down to about 5 degrees F. I used my MSR Wind burner solo and it worked flawlessly. Bob used a Mini Mo with his famous Moulder Strip and he easily melted lots of snow rather quickly numerous times. There was another fella there, Scott and he used his Trail Designs 600 ml Ti-Tri setup with kojin alcohol stove.. Again it worked perfect for him rather quickly and no hassle.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I will add this.. the reason I did NOT bring/use my 600ml Ti-Tri for this trip was because the temps were going to be single digits, possibly negative digits below 0° with wind chill.. I did not want to have to put together the cone wind screen and mess with alcohol or esbit.. and there was a serious possibility that I would be needing to melt snow and ice for cooking and drinking, as I hiked in 10 miles with 1 liter of water. I wanted a FAST boil of water without needing my hands and fingers (exposed) and the very hi possibly of melting snow for water.  It was a toss up of my Windburner or my Reactor for this trip..

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools