Topic

Lower altitude trips in the Sierras to avoid the higher / insane snow pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lower altitude trips in the Sierras to avoid the higher / insane snow pack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Most of the trails in the sierra tend to start out at a low altitude and go up into the mountains.

With the MASSIVE amount of snow we have this year this can be rather troublesome as it can be dangerous and difficult to deal with that much snow.

I’ve been combing maps trying to find trails with decent mileage that mostly avoid anything > 8k feet but I’m mostly out of luck.

I was looking at the Shasta Trinity national forest. This looks like a decent option. Just not this weekend as it looks to be raining there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Emigrant Wilderness out of crabtree trailhead is perfect for what you are describing. Lots of granite with pleasant lakes but at a lower elevation (6-8k feet). Great fishing and great off trail wandering to remote lakes (terrain isn’t too extreme).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do some research on hiking up Kern Canyon from the south.  There are lots of side trails you could explore that lead up onto the rims on either side.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Don’t count on Emigrant Wilderness being open too early this year.  The trailheads can open late because they’re dirt roads and are actually higher than Glacier Point in Yosemite, for example.  And your options will be limited early on by really high water…Piute Creek can be nasty.  Emigrant Wilderness is one big granite bowl, and when the snow melts all that water fills the streams into roaring torrents lower down.  Of course at higher elevation you’ll still have snow.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

I was going to do a loop near forks of the kern in the golden trout wilderness and was told the roads are pretty washed out. I’ll be doing a trip to Sespe Hot Springs instead.

Kenneth Keating
    BPL Member

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

One possible option would be hiking around Hetch Hetchy and up the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

+1 to Ken’s suggestion. Cherry Lake is in the Hetch Hetchy area as well. Apparently you can descend from that trail to canyons around the river. A short bit of rope may be required. River levels may be a concern this year. I haven’t done this but I’ve seen exciting pictorial trip reports. Of course, you could just stay on the trail. It does go through some burn areas.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Hiking in lower elevations below big melting snowpacks trades snow stomping for dangerous river crossings.

Better have good river crossing skills and experience, and know when to give up, turn around, and play another day.

— Rex

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There’s less snow on the east side so that might be better?  At least that’s how the Cascades are.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools