Topic

Lots of Epic fabrics, available for DIY, tested

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lots of Epic fabrics, available for DIY, tested

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You can thank Josh S. for uncovering this source for Epic fabrics and creating samples to test.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Josh and you as well Richard.

Why is it so hard to find lighter weight EPIC and EPIC like treated fabrics?

Come on manufacturers, there are so many UL and lighter fabrics out there now just waiting to be treated with silicone (own..own..own).

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Justin,
    Those are all around an oz heavier per sq yd than the BD epic malibu I posted about recently. Roger tested it to 1500mm, but found that it failed badly at that pressure, unlike other coatings that fail gradually after the first drops appear.
    At above 2.5 osy, there are other much higher HH treatments that are more breathable.
    That’s why it has not been competitive.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1500mm is pretty impressive for a single layer of fabric + air permeable coating.  What was the CFM on the Malibu stuff?

I think for EPIC to work well in a more rain gear kind of way, you need two layers of fabric both treated.  Say a 1 oz/yd2 + 1 oz/yd2, both with say a HH of around 600mm and CFM of around 4.  I’m not sure, but i think the combined HH might be a bit higher than just double the 600, though the CFM would only be around 2?

Still, 2 is 4X greater air permeability than the average eVent fabric.

Manuel Espejo
    BPL Member

@manuel-espejo

Locale: La Cuchilla de los Santa.

Maybe the epic fans will find this interesting, Arktis A192 Windshirt:

• Meets PCU Level 4 Specs: “The soft windshirt is made from an encapsulated microfiber that repels water but also breathes for a variety of conditions. It’s designed to pair with a next-to-skin layer for intense activity in cooler temperatures or with the Level 5 soft shell as a mid-layer. It stuffs into its own pocket for easy packing.”
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools