Topic

Lost Creek Wilderness snow conditions (April 2017)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lost Creek Wilderness snow conditions (April 2017)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just checking in to see if anyone has been in/around the Lost Creek Wilderness this spring.  I’m heading out next weekend with a buddy to do the McCurdy/Bison/Wigmam loop and am wondering if I need any flotation.  I’m thinking not, but don’t want to get out and need it.

I’ll update conditions after I get back.

Thanks, Tom

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

May not be of any use, as conditions could be very different this year. But assuming similar snow, I hiked the goose creek, hankins gulch loop in the end of May last year and ran into a fair bit of snow in McCurdy park. Postholing as soon as we got near 10k’. The Tarryall mountains are getting snow as I write this.

You may be well aware of the conditions, and be well prepared, in which case, I apologize for not having any current info on trail conditions.

As I understand it though, still a little early for many of the classic lost creek loops.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

A bit early IMO.

Snow pack conditions are pretty average in Colorado overall.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/states/co/snow/state/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

~Late May is when this loop starts to be prime backpacking conditions for most people.

YMMV.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

A helpful blog post that applies here ;)

http://www.pmags.com/snotel-snow-water-equivalent-maps

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

That Paul Mags guy is not to be trusted….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guys.  I just flew home to Denver after a week in Texas and didn’t realize we had more storms.  I guess I may push it back a few weeks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did the McCurdy Park shorter loop in early June last summer and was miserable due to the heat

Brent S
    BPL Member

@brew

I’m interested in hearing about conditions as well. About a month and a half from a 2 night trip out there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools