Topic

Loop Route through Bear Lakes Basin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Loop Route through Bear Lakes Basin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hi all!

I am planning a 5-7 day trip next week.  Weighing out some options of where to go.  I was wondering if anyone knows if a route to make a loop through Bear Lakes Basin.  Thinking we would come in from Lake Italy.  And then wondering if there is a way to get to Merriam Lake so that we could loop back via Pine Creek Pass.  I see two possible passes by Gruff Lake and Den Lake.  Another option would be pass near Feather Peak towards Royce Lakes and back into Granite Park.  Has anyone ever done a loop like I am talking about and can give any advice on a possible route?

Thanks in advance!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I was in Bear Lakes Basin a month ago and what you are looking at is absolutely possible.  I started at South Lake and came into Bear Lake Basin via White Bear Pass, but I assume if you want to come in from Italy Pass, that you will take Dancing Bear Pass.  To get to Merriam Lake from Bear Lakes Basin you traverse over Feather Pass (Class 2) just south of Feather Peak down to La Salle Lake and Merriam Lake.  You can then take the Pine Creek Trail over Pine Creek Pass to Granite Park.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Above is an upside down picture (it shows right side up on my computer) looking back from Feather Pass (looking west into Bear Lakes Basin).  The traverse is pretty straight forward and had one or two minor tricky spots on the west side.  The east side is a cakewalk decent.

Andrew Stevens
    BPL Member

@nuttool

I’ve done a short loop that starts and ends at Pine Creek Trailhead; it’s a lollipop loop about 30 miles?  I go into honeymoon lake, over Italy Pass, then Dancing Bear Pass, through the Bear Lakes Basin and then over Feather Pass, then French Canyon to Pine Creek Pass back to the car.  I’ve done it over Granite Bear Pass and over Italy Pass, around Lake Italy and then entered the Bear Lake Basin at the start.  I prefer the way I’ve described first.  Probably less than 30 miles, but one of my favorite areas of the Sierra.

Andrew

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools