Topic

looking for some videos of the Scout

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting looking for some videos of the Scout

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Colas Le Porc
    BPL Member

@colas

Hi

I’d be really interested in seeing the Scout in videos, to see how it actually paddles, but I looked around and I couldn’t find anything ! Did I miss something ? Do you know of some obscure video where we can see the raft in action ?

I’m thinking of trips where crossing large rivers may be involved, no whitewater but the rivers could flow fast.

I’ve read that the way Alpackas inflate to higher pressure makes them paddle much better, and that could make a difference for ferrying fast flowing water, compared to “softer” boats like the Supai… or my former 20$ vinyl Explorer 200 !

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Sadly I hardly have anything, just this video that Luke S took of a trip in the Bob a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2cNOejh0D8  My Scout is the blue/red/green boat.

The Scout ferries as fast, and in a headwind faster, than the standard Alpackas.  The only limitation in moving water is the low freeboard and lack of a deck.

Colas Le Porc
    BPL Member

@colas

Thanks, there’s not much footage but the Scout seems to do fine in that kind of water.

What paddle did you use on this trip ? Do you think it makes a significant difference for a river like this, to use a proper paddle (~2lbs, good blade surface) instead of smaller and lighter stuff like the Supai or the Alpacka Ninja paddle ?
    If I got a Scout I’d be my only raft so I would try to get as much performance as I can from it. So maybe a good paddle is worth the weight.
    Standard boat are definitely too much for me, weight bulk and price, and I wouldn’t need the WW performance. Since I mostly hike solo I see the scout as a safety valve : if it starts to get too splashy maybe it’s time to walk !…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I do think a “real” paddle makes a difference with the Scout.   I used a 4 piece 210cm Werner Shuna one that trip (and every other for the last 5 years), and can’t say enough good things about it.  Sounds like the Scout would be spot on for your use, and be tough enough to run a bit of whitewater if the weather is mild, too.

Here’s a shot of just how small it folds up.

Colas Le Porc
    BPL Member

@colas

Yeah it’s not that much lighter than the big boats but it’s half the bulk !

About speed and headwind, do you think the Scout is faster on slow moving rivers or flatwater ? Only if the wind makes a difference, or is it just faster because there’s no bow upturn ?

Anyway I would float pretty low in that boat, I’m 210lbs when fit and usually closer to 220… plus gear… if I compare to the Explorer 200 pooltoy I had years ago : it didn’t take much weight AND was very limp. So if the Scout has roughly the same flotation but can be inflated firmly, I guess it could still paddle OK.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

The lack of bow upturn and smaller tubes make a big difference in a headwind, that’s the main difference.

I think you’ll be fine with flotation.   I’ve piled two people into it messing around, and you run out of space way before you run out of float.

Colas Le Porc
    BPL Member

@colas

Ok well thank you for all the input, it looks like a really nice little boat !

If I go for these trips with light water travel I’m sure it will be the good choice.

David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

I did a video featuring my Alpacka Ghost – same size as the Scout.

I’m 6’1″ for reference.

ALPACKA GHOST VIDEO

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@tomcoxmt

I am thinking of purchasing either a Scout or a Curiyak.  Does anyone in the Glacier Park area have one I could look at?  I live near Flathead Lake.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools