Topic

Looking for socks that keep feet cool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for socks that keep feet cool

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JohnB
    BPL Member

@777zzz

I am very heat sensitive, so I need socks that keep my feet cool.  The rest of my body is very sensitive to the warmth of my feet.  When I wear socks that heat up my feet my whole body sweats.  My feet are not  as prone to sweating as are other parts of my body, so the socks don’t necessarily need to have high wicking capability, e.g. cotton should be fine for me.  I will be wearing these socks solely(heheh) for everyday use not for strenuous activity like hiking, running, sports, etc.

Recently I have bought six different types of socks in an attempt to find socks that keep my feet cool. All of the socks were made of materials that keep feet the coolest, were advertised as able to keep feet cool, or the customer reviews said that the socks were effective at keeping feet cool.  But all of them heat my feet up way too much.  I have several old pairs of thin white crew socks that work just fine at keeping my feet cool, but since I bought them so long ago I don’t know what brand they are.

These are the socks that I  have purchased recently in an attempt to find socks that keep my feet cool:

1. Hane’s Mens FreshIQ Active Cool=49%polyester
    2. Bering Men’s Comfort Crew=?
    3. Burlington Comfort Power=?
    4. Working Person’s 8766 Crew Sock=<span class=”askTopQandA”>75% ringspun cotton, 23% nylon, and 2% spandex</span>
    5. Darn Tough 1/4 Merino Wool Cushion Hiking Sock=<span class=”a-list-item”>61% Merino Wool/37% Nylon/2% Lycra Spandex</span>
    6. Darn Tough Coolmax 1/4 Ultralight Cushion Sock=41% Coolmax® Polyester, 54% Nylon, 5% Lycra® Spandex
      Please help before I die of heat stroke or go bankrupt buying socks.
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

My feet also need to stay cool while hiking, so I wear very thin socks.

I recently started wearing Darn Tough Vertex 1/4 Ultra-Light socks – very thin, no cushioning, no overheating problems for me. I’ve also liked the Injinji RUN Lightweight Mini-Crew socks.

I specifically avoid socks with “cushion” in the name – means they are thicker and hotter, even if the cushioning is only on the bottom.

Other bargain-seeking hikers look for very thin men’s dress socks in nylon or similar long-wearing synthetics.

I’ve yet to find a thin-enough cotton sock. But cotton sucks for hiking so I haven’t looked hard.

Hope this helps.

— Rex

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

As per Rex I also have hot feet so thin nylon or Coolmax.  If the shoes fit, you don’t need cushioning.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

JohnB – Maybe your shoes are trapping too much heat?

Switching from traditional mostly-leather hiking boots to trail runners with maximum mesh made a huge difference for me.

— Rex

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I really like DRYMAX socks and what kind of shoes are you wearing? That will have a big effect.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

I for one am actively searching for trail runners where the shoe lining allows for socks optional comfort so anything with Gortex is off the list. Not sure there is such a thing as a sock that keeps your feet cool.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I wear thin nylon dress socks and light running shoes.  If my feet get hot I walk through a creek.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

It’s your shoes not the socks! Get a mesh tongue on the runners as well!

Highly recommend, once you get some nice meshy runners, some Darn Tough Tactical PT 1/4 socks.

Really nice cushion foot and mesh (almost see through -but bloody tough!) upper. The gold standard-those military types know their stuff.

Change those shoes!

Edit -just read your post properly-casual wear, oh my.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Surprised no one has mentioned this, but to the OP you need to increase the surface area.  So toe socks should do you well, like Injinjis.  They come in a variety of lengths and weights.

I always wear Injinjis for hiking, and under another sock for winter snow hiking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best socks I’ve found for this very purpose are thin socks made out of primarily linen with some nylon and a little spandex.  Ebay, amazon, etc often have them. I think the last time I got some was something like 7 pairs for around 25 dollars dollars.

They have proven surprisingly robust.  Very low odor (on par with thin, merino wool socks in that area) and keep my feel the coolest and driest of anything I have tried.  Don’t go for the 100% linen, but the ones with at least 12% nylon and a little spandex–they definitely last longer than the former (I’ve tried both).

I wear them primarily for work. I typically walk anywhere from 10 to 15 miles in a given work day, and for safety reasons we are not allowed to wear anything even remotely sandalish. My feet run warm, and I have to wear extra cushioning/insoles, which compounds the issue. Out of everything I have tried (and I’ve tried a fair amount of different things), these are what I’ve found that do the best job. I believe there are some toe sock versions out of a similar blend which probably would work a bit better, but I don’t have the time/patience for these as I already get up god early as it is.

A 2nd, close runner up are those thin, nylon socks with copper, but the ones I like some and have tried, are far too long and tight (they are supposed to be “compression”). They are fairly cool and low odor, but not as wicking. Also definitely more expensive than the above. The nice thing about primarily linen too is that it is biodegradable (at least the 86% or so linen part is).

JohnB
    BPL Member

@777zzz

Can you recommend specific brands of linen blend socks?  I’ve spent a fair amount of time shopping for them and have not been able to find any.  Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi John,

The following are ones that I have bought.

Or conversely, you can search on Amazon using the following keywords: Max Resource Organic Linen Quarter Crew Socks Thin Socks 7-Pairs

They are 86% linen 12% nylon and 2% spandex.

There are others. I tried another brand as well, but they were a bit thicker and had more spandex, and so were a bit warmer and dried a bit slower.

I should add that there are other socks (full synthetic) that will dry faster than the first ones I mentioned, however, since my feet sweat less in these, I consider them overall dryer than even the quick drying synthetic ones. With that said, if they ever make about a half linen, half nylon sock, I would definitely try that out because of increased durability and a bit quicker dry time.

JohnB
    BPL Member

@777zzz

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

I have a problem that my feet are hot and sweat at work.. Just sitting around.  Believe it or not I’ve found that wood socks help.  I’m not sure why but they are thicker and some how keep my feet cooler feeling.  I’m sure the over all problem is air flow in my dress shoes but the socks do help.  Cabelas had some nice cool wool socks, ultimax I think is the name.  I have some angora rabbit wool ones from russia that I like.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Are you wearing Gore-Tex shoes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools