Topic

Looking for really warm baselayer pants/tights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for really warm baselayer pants/tights

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I need some really warm baselayer pants or tights to be worn under shell pants when on the move in cold temperatures.

Capilene 4 (thermal weight) isn’t warm enough. R1 pants would be sweet, but they were discontinued a while ago.

Any recommendations?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

http://marmot.com/products/details/stretch-fleece-pant
    Marmot stretch fleece pants

Weigh about 8 ounces in mens medium, these are seriously warm. They fit like tights, but slightly looser than running tights, like you can layer them over regular tights.

If you need anything warmer than that, how about layering?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

STP has some Terramar Military 3.0 Grid Fleece tights that weigh 7.2oz (my R1 pants are 8oz) for $17

You might also try some Polartec Powerstretch Tights.  STP normally has some in the $30-40 range and Ragged Mountain sells some for $59 that are made in New Hampshire.

I think some of the R1 was made for the military so Uncle Sam still may source some from a vendor.  The reason I say that is the pair I have was direct from Patagonia on closeout for $35 and are Made in USA and are in “Alpha Green” color – IE Army Green.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

+1 for the Terramar military 3.0 grid fleece

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Military surplus quilted, fiberfill pant liners?

I like them because they are warm and comfortable, slip on and off easily and have articulated knees.

I can also slip them over my pants for short term use without having to take my pants off.

(note to site-took well over 10 seconds for this post to show up after hitting submit button….ughhh!)

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Eastern Mountain Sports also has some powerstretch vector pants/tights. This years heavyweight baselayer pant is a slightly thinner powerstretch but also very warm and fits me like tights.Very comfy actually.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

The Terramar Grid 3.0 looks nice. Is the grid size and thickness comparable to the R1 grid?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You might also look at the Terramar Ecolator Bottom which looks like R1 to me.  The problem is most sites don’t give you the weight of the fabric so its hard to know exactly what you are looking at.  It may take some buy and returns and/or talking on the phone to retailers to give you some additional info.
    <h1 id=”products2-web-desc”></h1>

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Mec T3 if you are in canuckistan

Yankee dollahs buy much maple syrup these dayz

;)

windsor ak
    BPL Member

@windsor

Locale: MN

Cabelas ECWCS (various weights), Under Armour 3.0, 4.0, or Extreme  (if mostly stationary).

PolarMax has a heavy fleece baselayer, runs small,  fits like tights but not too much stretch.

If I need more warmth than my Cap 4’s than I wear a Smartwool NTS 150 or 250 under them or my PolarMax fleece. I should buy a larger pair of the PolarMax so I can layer under them instead of over for better wicking

Lawrence Crowley
    BPL Member

@lawrie_crowleyhotmail-com-2-2

Locale: Victoria
    Lawrence Crowley
    BPL Member

@lawrie_crowleyhotmail-com-2-2

Locale: Victoria

Oh yeah and the ME Eclipse pants are Grid fleece just like the R1.

Lawrie.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools