Topic

Looking for partners to hike in Idaho and beyond

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for partners to hike in Idaho and beyond

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

I live in Idaho, near Boise, and have had a very hard time finding motivated UL hikers. I find lots of folks enjoying the typical and well known locations, but it has been difficult to find partners who have the mindset that it takes to tackle and complete some of the more involved off trail routes in different ranges. I am very experienced, and am really looking forward to doing more! I can travel and have long stretches of time off during both spring and fall shoulder seasons.

In the near future, I am looking to get over to the Winds in mid Sept, and would probably change my route if I had a strong partner. I love to fish the remote off trail lakes, would love to bag more peaks, and I am looking forward to doing some great exploring!

If you have any interest in doing some of these “new” routes that traverse or explore ranges, and also might have an interest in a PCT or CDT in the future, all the better! You don’t have to live in Idaho, as I am willing to travel to destinations to meet up to hike.

thanks!

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Steve, we might be a good fit for certain trips.    I’m fit and experienced in general terms, no technical climbing skills but I’m comfortable up to easy 4th-class terrain and I generally prefer heading off trail.

I don’t live locally to you – I’m in the process of buying a house in Santa Fe – but I’m planning to spend a lot more time doing trips to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming etc.    I just got back from my first trip to the Winds last week (my trip report is on the front page).

I tend to favor 5-8 day trips that allow you to get into remote areas but still traveling light, and I often struggle to find partners who are willing to take that much time away from annoying things like jobs or family.    I do enjoy hiking alone, but I’d like to find more regular partners for remote trips into difficult terrain, and also because I want to start investigating the backcountry of places like Yellowstone & Glacier where the wildlife makes things dangerous for a solo hiker.

I’ll shoot you a pm with my contact details.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Y’all can keep me in mind. I’m fit enough, I guess (just finished a 90-mile trek in Idaho, getting ready to do the Bailey Range Traverse in the Olympics in late September if the weather holds). Love 5-8 day trips. Happy to travel to Idaho/Montana/Wyoming (I enjoyed Ralph’s trip report enough to order my own maps of the Winds). And I have a pretty open schedule.

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

I live in Southcentral Washington and look for partners as well for primarily Eastern Washington.

Ellen T.
    BPL Member

@ellent

Locale: Bay Area

Hey guys, guess I’m late to the thread, but sounds like you might be interested in a trip I’m planning. Planning to do the 80-mile Wind River High Route late August / early September (6-7 days hiking, planning on shuttling from JAC airport to the start @ Green River Lakes trailhead on 8/28, but flexible!). Looking to build out a group to hike & split the shuttle. Let me know!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools