Topic

Looking for info – Pine Creek TH to North Lake TH (Eastern Sierra)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Looking for info – Pine Creek TH to North Lake TH (Eastern Sierra)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Hi All,

I’m looking for some information for an upcoming hike on 7/17 – 7/19 thru Humphreys Basin. We are a group of 4 – 2 very experienced backpackers and 2 newcomers with plenty of other outdoors experience and good fitness levels (at low elevation anyway). We are hiking from Pine Creek TH to North Lake TH. I’ve gotten some great nuggets of info so far, but have a few specific questions:

– Puppet Pass – looks very mellow, but will be snow covered. Microspikes might be nice for an early morning climb, but probably not necessary?

– Any good places to car camp at or near the Pine Creek TH the night before?

I founde a TR of a Humphreys Basin ski trip from earlier this month on HST, which had some great photos and descriptions to give me an idea of what to expect, but any other info or opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

You may have already seen the Puppet Pass info at http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7686 .  For snow/spikes advice I’d post over there.  In addition to HST, you might check on recent snow reports at Whitney Zone and the JMT Yahoo Group.

Both times I’ve been up Pine Creek I just climbed up the trail a ways the afternoon we arrived.  There are decent camps starting at ~9800 feet a bit before the first lake about 4 miles in.  I much prefer that to camping along a road, unless that 1st day altitude is an issue for your group.  It’s all pretty once you get beyond site of the old tungsten mine.

I’ve seen one report that there is dispersed camping allowed along Pine Creek Road (http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/inyo/pinecreek.htm).  The Inyo site at https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=20228&actid=34 doesn’t say Pine Creek Rd is off limits, but you may want to check with the Inyo Rangers to make sure it’s OK first.

Jim Fitzgerald
    BPL Member

@jimfitz12000

Locale: Southern California

Dave makes a good point: Pine Creek TH has a small, dusty parking area and Berner’s Pack Station (might answer the phone).  I don’t recall a campground at the Pine Creek TH area.  There are good camping spots above the mine.

If you have arranged a shuttle or are stashing a car at the end trailhead (two cars?), start at the North Lake/Piute Pass TH, which has a campground immediately adjacent to the TH, and finish at Pine Creek.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Thanks for the info, Gents. I hadn’t seen that HST thread on Carol Col, good info. Although it’s probably still mostly covered in snow at the moment.

If we get to the TH early enough we will probably hike in Sunday afternoon, but the info about dispersed camping is also appreciated and makes sense since it’s within the NF.

Our permit is for starting at the Pine Creek TH. I would have preferred to start at North Lake, but all permits were taken for these dates. I’ll double check with the ranger station when we pick up our permit just to be sure nothing has changed.

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

Since you’re checking HST, you probably already saw this recent trip report.  http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16130&p=121421&hilit=humphrey#p121421 .  If not, you’ll want to check it out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools