Topic

Looking for clothing advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Looking for clothing advice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@conlax14

Hi all,

I usually am a fall/early winter hiker, but I am about to hit the trail in 2 weeks in Connecticut. I’m comfortable with my overall pack & gear choices, but the one thing that still baffles me is getting the clothing I bring correct. I very much “pack my fears” expecting cold nights, hot nights, layers for actual hiking, etc.

So I’m looking for advice on rough guidelines people like to follow for this time of year. 1 set of clothes for camp/1 for hiking? Only bring one set of layers? Do I even need a puffy for the evenings?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Can you post a NWS forecast for the relevant area into the thread?

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Do you hang out in camp much? I have discovered that I tend to wander all day and then when I get to camp I tend to go right to bed. This means I have less need for inactive insulation.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Do you hang out in camp much? I have discovered that I tend to wander all day and then when I get to camp I tend to go right to bed. This means I have less need for inactive insulation.

At my age, I can’t wander all day.  :-).

But still, I don’t bring a separate set of clothing for camp. I loosen my boots, add an insulated layer or two (light fleece and/or puffy, depending on conditions), hat, gloves, buff, and maybe a rain shell if it’s windy. When the sun goes down, I’m in the tent. I find that same insulation can be useful for the morning.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@conlax14

It’s still a bit far out to get an accurate forecast, but here’s the area: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-73.19121&lat=41.82877#.YpV5yVMpA0E

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@conlax14

With the crew I’m going with, I’m definitely expecting a few hours at camp each night before turning in. A few newbies that are on their first real overnight hikes.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@conlax14

Thanks! I think that may be where I’m heading, too. The final decisions will absolutely depend on the forecast that week as well

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Ok, so if I’m reading that right, we are talking about really warm weather by my standards. Lows in the 50s, highs in the 60s through 80s depending on cloud cover. Good chances of rain and storms. I’ll just give you my thoughts, but everyone’s different. No puffy needed IMO. I would probably bring a mid-weight fleece to put over my hiking stuff and wear my rain shell over it as necessary. Raingear, lightweight gloves / shells (or waterproof gloves), light fleece cap or buff, and a second pair of socks.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@conlax14

Thank you! This isn’t too far off from what I was thinking, so it makes me feel a bit better.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

From Andy Skurka’s perspective, if you scroll down to northern AT and summer it’s a good list to peruse:

https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-clothing-systems-3-season-conditions/

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@conlax14

That’s a great list, thank you! Definitely bookmarking that page.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

In the northeast in summer it is very easy to over dress, warm to hot humid conditions are likely, especially near the coast.  Rain is likely at some point.  So like others have said, something like a fleece for in camp and rain gear over your hiking clothes if needed.  We are going much farther north later this month to Algonquin in Ontario, I will have a light shirt, hiking pants with zip off legs, for the day time.  For night a fleece and a dry set of clothes for camp, Marino t shirt, Marino long bottoms, pair of shorts, pair of Marino socks for camp only.  Also will take a broad brimmed hat, rain coat, rain pants.  I am backing up lower temp possibilities with a sleep system rated for colder than likely weather.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools